Our new campus will open in 2021 and we cannot wait to welcome you, the first cohort to study here, for a student experience like no other in Dubai. Providing an academic home for up to 2,900 students, a community for Birmingham alumni in the region and hub for community outreach and engagement activities.
This new campus demonstrates our continuing commitment to providing a world-leading, research-informed and elite university education in the heart of the United Arab Emirates.
- The iconic buildings will be located opposite purpose-built student housing communities, looking across parkland reflecting the Green Heart of the University’s UK campus.
- Collaboration is at the heart of our campus design. Reflecting the real-world working practices, this campus encourages interdisciplinary teamwork across our academic subjects; from Computer Science to Psychology.
- Flexible learning spaces ensure teaching and research can work in tandem to benefit our students.
- Sheltered courtyards and social spaces will provide a relaxing environment in keeping with the local climate that is designed to enhance the campus’ sustainability. This ensures the University leads the way in corporate environmental responsibility.
- As study space to suit your needs; facilities will range from large lecture theatres and laboratories through to smaller seminar and tutorial rooms for working with your tutors and fellow students.
Phase Two campus virtual walkthrough
Drone footage from 25th August 2020
25th August 2020
27th July 2020
A cutting-edge, intelligent campus
The University of Birmingham Dubai campus will be embedded with cutting-edge technology, delivering a world-class physical and digital experience for you as students and for our staff and visitors.
Through the use of a mobile application, you can quickly identify available study spaces, get step-by-step directions to your next lecture, receive live notifications when something of interest is happening nearby and even watch lecture playback all through one unified platform.
The inclusion of such technologies delivers a seamless, personalised, flexible and connected experience where you are encouraged to be an active participant in your learning.
Described as an Intelligent Campus, our new campus has been uniquely designed; embracing sustainable practices to promote environmental sustainability and to deliver a modern campus that is capable of adapting to changes in technology, learning and climate. This data and innovative technology will be integrated with the curriculum, across subject disciplines, and utilised by industry partners through research projects, consultancy opportunities and student internships.
From world-leading research and facilities, to our forward thinking staff, technological infrastructure and our industry partnerships, we will drive innovation to ensure you are well prepared with the skills, knowledge and expertise required to excel in the job market of tomorrow.
Ground breaking ceremony in November 2019
Professor Sir David Eastwood
Principal and Vice-Chancellor
“This innovative and iconic facility has been designed to echo our beautiful and historic Edgbaston campus, whilst providing a flexible, modern setting for our students in Dubai to obtain maximum benefit from our teaching and research expertise.”
Birmingham is the first global top 100 and UK Russell Group university to establish a campus in this rapidly developing international education hub. It offers degrees taught, examined and accredited to the same high standards as those delivered on its UK campus.
In November 2019, the University of Birmingham broke ground on the second phase of its Dubai campus in Dubai International Academic City (DIAC), a member of TECOM Group, in the presence of H.E. Dr. Ahmad bin Abdullah Humaid Belhoul Al Falasi, UAE Minister for Higher Education and Advanced Skills. This landmark event marked the next stage in the global Top 100 University’s long-term commitment to supporting UAE society, particularly through its teaching and research.
View more picture from our ground breaking ceremony here