Why study this course?
Across the globe, organisations are seeking dynamic managers with the skills to work away from their domestic country. Our Masters programme is designed to enhance your career prospects by building your knowledge in key areas of international business. You will have the opportunity to draw on the talents of globally respected scholars and teachers whose expertise, combined with the breadth of the syllabus, will prepare you for your new international career.
- We are one of a handful of business schools in the UK that holds the prestigious ‘triple-crown’ accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS).
- Our strong links with industry mean that rigorous undergraduate academic study is combined with a real practical focus, leading to excellent job opportunities for our students.
- The University of Birmingham is amongst the top three in the United Kingdom for being most frequently targeted by the country’s top employers.
Discover more about our programme delivery
MSc international business will provide students with an understanding of the intellectual issues and policy challenges arising in the field of international business and management. Specifically, these concern:
- Globalisation and regionalisation
- International business environment and institutions, including international accounting conventions and financial markets
- International business strategy and marketing, including the stages and process of company internationalisation and market entry
- International management across cultures and systems
- The structure and governance of multinational corporations
- The operational problems of international business, including HRM, logistical and marketing issues
- The special business conditions in Europe, Asia and in emerging economies situations
View the semester one timetable here
*Please note we are unable able to provide visa sponsorship for part-time study. Discover more about the visa application process here.
Marcelo Oliveira Altoé
MSc International Business Alumni
“You cannot underestimate the importance of having lived and studied abroad, especially as multinational and mid-sized companies are looking for people who are able to work internationally and understand and adapt to different cultures and environments. My advice would be to study hard, make some good friends and try to enjoy and appreciate every moment of your experience at the University of Birmingham.”
This Masters in international business programme will be delivered through a combination of seminars, lectures, class discussions, group work, case-study analysis and presentations. Assessments will take the form of individual essays, group assessments, end of term examinations and a dissertation.
Teaching will be delivered via a flexible approach and will involve weekend teaching (Friday and Saturday) with the option of substituting the second Friday’s teaching for two, 3-hour midweek evening sessions (Monday and Wednesday).
As the University of the Year for Graduate Employment in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015-16, Birmingham is one of the UK’s top university’s for securing a graduate-level job.
Your Birmingham Degree
Your Birmingham degree is evidence of your ability to succeed in a demanding academic environment. Employers target Birmingham students for their drive, diversity, communication and problem-solving skills, their team-working abilities and cultural awareness, and our graduate employment statistics have continued to climb at a rate well above national trends.
Your career progression
Students graduating from the University of Birmingham are highly skilled, employable graduates. The University of Birmingham is within the top 5 of institutions within the UK for home student graduate employability.
"When I look back on my time at the university, I fondly recall interesting lectures, a variety of sporting activities, international and local road trips, all the new friendships I made and the overall intercultural diversity of the university."
Marcelo Oliveira Altoé, MSc International Business
Read the full profile
Graduates may find themselves taking a major step towards developing an international or strategic focus within their careers. While some will accelerate their careers with existing employers, others can create potential for change. Major directions include jobs in business analysis and development, banking, management and strategy consulting, corporate finance and investment, human resource management and marketing.
Graduates from MSc International Business have gone onto work for a range of multinational organisations from a variety of sectors, most notably:
- DBS Bank
- Deloitte UK