This multidisciplinary programme will prepare you for a rewarding career in a variety of professional settings, both in and out of the fields of public health and epidemiology. Develop essential skills and gain an in-depth understanding to face worldwide challenges integral to improving the health of populations.
Subject to Ministry of Education accreditation
Public health practitioners create real change in the world by improving the health of the population. Drawing upon the University's world leading expertise, our Masters in Public Health programme will provide you with the necessary understanding and knowledge to develop essential skills in disease prevention, health protection and health promotion.
The programme will equip you with a broad academic training in public health and epidemiology across the full breadth of public health topics. In addition to a thorough grounding in applied health research methods and health information, you will be introduced to key areas of public health practice, such as health promotion, population approaches to healthcare planning and delivery, and health protection.
The Master of Public Health (MPH) is designed for graduates from a wide range of professional backgrounds, from those who want a career in public health itself, to those who want to learn more about epidemiology and statistics for research or health service evaluation. As well as practising clinicians, the course may be of considerable value for those involved (or thinking about becoming involved) in senior management in health and other public services, as it covers aspects of population health, including epidemiology, biostatistics, and the planning and evaluation of health and public health services.
Find out more about our research in Chronic Disease
Dr Khalifa Elmusharaf
Dr Khalifa Elmusharaf, MBBS, PgCert, PgDip, FRSPH, FFPH, IPMA®C, PhD is an Associate Professor and the Director of the Public Health Programme at the University of Birmingham Dubai, as well as a fellow of the Faculty of Public Health, Royal College of Physicians UK. He is also an accredited reviewer for the European Agency for Public Health Education Accreditation APHEA, a certified strategic project manager from the International Project Management Association IPMA, and a certified health professional educationalist from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland RCSI.
Dr Elmusharaf is medically trained and obtained his PhD in Public Health from the University of Galway. He is an advisor to the WHO on Mother and Newborn Information for Tracking Outcomes and Results and to UNDP on non-communicable diseases. He is also an associate editor at the BMC Public Health, BMC Health Services Research and International Health Journals.
Dr Elmusharaf has more than 20 years of experience in academia, ministries of health, and international organisations in Africa, the Middle East, and Europe.
Deputy Programme Director:
Dr Nisha Dhanda
Dr Nisha Dhanda is an Assistant Professor in Public Health and Deputy Programme Director of the Masters in Public Health programme at the Dubai campus. Nisha has a clinical background in Audiology and her mixed methods PhD investigated the epidemiology of hearing loss and dementia in older adults, and their lived experience within residential care homes. Nisha has public health research experience in both the Middle East and UK, and has extensive teaching experience in higher education institutions. Prior to joining University of Birmingham, Nisha was the Public and Global Health Lead for Aston Medical School. Nisha is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Public Heath where she is a member of the Public Health Behaviour Change special interest group, and Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
Why study this course?
- Our programme is an internationally recognised qualification in Public Health and is essential for professional advancement in the fields of public and global health.
- The University of Birmingham is a renowned centre of international excellence for teaching and research in public health - we are members of the NIHR School for Public Health Research, which brings together a number of English institutions with excellence in this field.
- Study the full breadth of Public Health topics taught by our world-leading academics, practitioners and researchers, who will challenge and encourage you to become an independent and self-motivated learner.
- Develop a broad range of skills that are invaluable for planning, management and evaluation of health services, for disease prevention, health protection and for health promotion.
- Contribute to the ever-changing world of global public health and build a fulfilling and rewarding career in a wide range of professional settings, both within and outside Public Health and Epidemiology.