Structural Engineering 3
Professional Education, Dubai campus
- Course Type
- Continuing professional development
Our Structural Engineering 3 professional development programme is designed to equip recent graduates and mid-career engineers with the knowledge and technical, intellectual and transferable skills required to take on leading roles in the profession.
Taught by world-leading researchers from the University of Birmingham, you will benefit from their expertise in the lectures and seminars. Structural Engineering 3, will be taught by Dr Samir Dirar, who leads structural concrete research at the University, and Professor Peter Robery .
This module covers advanced durability and design topics applied in the civil engineering construction industry. It introduces the design principles of composite (steel-concrete) construction and pre-stressed concrete used in civil engineering. This module will cover:
- The framework that governs the analysis and design of pre-stressed concrete, including the basic principles of material properties that have to be incorporated into the design of structures
- The main factors that affect the durability of concrete structures and the repair techniques used in practice
- The key principles underpinning the design of composite structural elements
By the end of the module, students should be able to:
- Critically assess the structural condition of existing concrete structures and propose appropriate repair strategies
- Critically evaluate the behaviour of composite structures and design composite members according to design standards
- Critically evaluate the behaviour of pre-stressed concrete structures and design pre-stressed concrete members according to design standards
- Explain large displacement behaviour and its role in resisting extreme events
- Communicate key engineering and design concepts using professional drawings and/or sketches
Why study with us?
This professional development module is the same as the module in the Masters programme and you will be taught and examined to the same high standards as at our UK campus. The University of Birmingham is a global top 100 University and is ranked in the top 10 for Civil Engineering in the UK (Guardian University Guide 2020).
Our staff are world-leading researchers in their subject areas and they bring their research expertise on structural engineering, deterioration and repair of existing concrete structures and sustainable engineering into their lectures and seminars. This ensures that the curriculum is informed by current research practice and knowledge, and that it adopts approaches to learning that support the research ethos.
We are an outstanding University producing professionals and leaders that change lives, and transform and enhance society. Our graduates are highly sought after by some of the world’s best employers.
Who should attend?
Early to mid-career engineering professionals, typically in graduate engineer positions.
Experienced engineers interested in enhancing their knowledge and skills in structural engineering and/or sustainable construction.
Course Leader: Dr Samir Dirar
The entry requirements for this professional education course are the same as those for our standard MSc Civil Engineering
Learning and Teaching
You will take part in lectures and seminars at the University of Birmingham’s Dubai campus.
- Structural Engineering 3 is a one-week (7 days) block of teaching.
- Teaching hours are 4pm to 9.30pm on weekdays and full days at the weekend.
- Structural Engineering 3 is 100% assessed by a written unseen exam.