Subject to Ministry of Education Accreditation
Why study 'with a Year in Computer Science’?
Mechanical engineers design, develop, install and test everything from small parts to huge machines and vehicles. They make things move, develop and use new technologies and solve complex problems. Consider the world around us with things like cars, planes, fridges and machines, mechanical engineers have a huge impact on our everyday lives. In our increasingly digital world, computer science is also having a major impact on our lives.
With our unique BEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Computer Science programme, you will cover core mechanical engineering subjects that are designed to develop your learning progressively and conduct integrated design projects that provide an excellent opportunity to work in groups on a large engineering activity with industry input. You will also gain an in-depth knowledge of computing to enhance your work-based computational skills focussed on engineering applications.
Our fantastic, purpose-built facilities, fitted out with a range of advanced equipment and computer science software on our brand new, technology enhanced 'smart' campus will give you access to exciting experiments and laboratory sessions to enhance your learning. Teaching is joint between academics on our Dubai campus, and our Edgbaston Campus. You will also have the opportunity to interact and work alongside students in our Edgbaston campus in the UK whilst you study at our Dubai campus.
By successfully completing the BEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Computer Science programme to at least a high 2.2, and subject to UK Visa approval, you can progress onto our MSc in Advanced Mechanical Engineering, allowing you to continue your education at postgraduate level.
As a mechanical engineer, you could get a job in a wide range of revolutionary industries, from aerospace and nuclear engineering to accountancy and investment banking. Gaining a degree in mechanical engineering ensures that graduates have a strong range of career options open to them. Our graduates work in small and global organisations such as Jaguar Land Rover, Rolls-Royce, Airbus and Aston Martin.
Why study Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Computer Science at Birmingham Dubai?
- Unique programme - You will graduate with a unique skill-set valuable in both technical and managerial roles within computer and engineering industries. With strong computational, artificial intelligence, engineering and machine learning skills, you will be equipped to address challenging problems and design solutions of a wider sector within society.
- Educational excellence - Experience the same world-class education as our UK campus. We deliver the same high quality curriculum with highly qualified academics and you will get a degree from a global top 100 university.
- Class sizes - You will be part of small-group teaching. This enables you to receive a more personalised educational experience.
- Practical experience - You will have the opportunity to take part in hands-on projects. This will build your knowledge of the design process and the skills required within an engineering context.
- State-of-the-art labs - You will use our brand new, purpose built labs that are fitted out with a range of advanced equipment on our fantastic new campus.
- Research-led teaching - Our research feeds directly into your teaching ensuring your programme includes the latest developments in mechanical engineering.
- Industry connections - We have strong industrial links with many large corporations such as Deloitte and Mercedes, which open up various beneficial opportunities to our students, including, careers fairs, industrial guest lectures and potential placements or work experience options.
- Exchange opportunities - You can choose to spend your second year studying at our picturesque campus in Birmingham, UK (subject to academic attainment) and there are also opportunities for later study in Birmingham.
- Networks across the world - You will become part of a global community of mechanical engineering students across the world.
- Scholarship opportunities - As a University of Birmingham student, a range of scholarship awards will be open to you.
Meet our academics
Our Mechanical Engineering academics are highly qualified and based in Dubai.
See their profiles