The CARE Fellowship Programme
The Centre for Advanced Research in English (CARE) welcomes over 40 Visiting Scholars each year to the University of Birmingham, offering a stimulating academic environment along with access to substantial library and corpus resources. We are proud to announce a Fellowship Programme that will offer financial support to senior academics who wish to spend up to 6 months in our Centre. Visitors will be invited to carry out their own research projects, to participate in research activities such as seminars and colloquia, and to develop collaborative research projects with academic staff in the Department of English and the Centre for English Language Studies.
Priority will be given to potential Fellows who…
- have an international research record;
- specialise in an area of English Language, Applied Linguistics or Corpus Linguistics.
- demonstrate the potential to work in collaboration with one or more academics at the University of Birmingham and develop joint research projects;
- are able to spend between 2 and 6 months between February 2012 and July 2012 at the University of Birmingham (not necessarily consecutively).
- Fellows will enjoy the facilities normally offered to CARE Visiting Scholars, including library access, shared office space and computer, access to University of Birmingham corpus resources.
- The Fellowship will cover the bench fee for CARE Visiting Scholars, and travel and accommodation expenses up to a maximum of £2,500.
- There will be two Fellowships offered for the period February 2012 to July 2012. If no suitable candidates are available the Fellowships will not be offered.
- Fellows will be expected to share their research by giving seminars to staff and doctoral researchers, but they will not be asked to undertake teaching duties.
- It is expected that Fellows will work alongside academic staff at the University of Birmingham to develop plans for joint research projects.
Application and selection procedure:
Application will be by curriculum vitae and covering letter. The letter should state the preferred dates of the Fellowship and should outline the research (including possibilities for collaborative research) that the applicant intends to carry out during the Fellowship period. Potential applicants are encouraged to contact possible collaborators in the Department of English or the Centre for English Language Studies before making their application.
The deadline for applications for 2011-2012 is 6 January 2012. Results will be announced by 16 January 2012.
A selection committee consisting of three academic staff from the Department of English and the Centre for English Language Studies, plus one member from another department, will consider the applications. The criteria for selection will be based on the priorities outlined above.
Applications should be sent to Michelle Devereux (firstname.lastname@example.org), to whom informal enquiries may also be addressed.