Who should attend
Researchers in any area of health and social care, either preclinical or clinical, who want to create or expand a patient/public involvement group. This can be any member of the research group including PhD student, research fellow, principal investigator, research nurse, project manager, trials coordinator, programme manager etc.
About this workshop
The workshop will have a practical approach focussing on developing understanding of PPI and the resources available to you.
After this workshop, delegates should:
- Know where and how to contact patients and members of the public
- Know how to write role descriptions and adverts
- Understand the principles underpinning public-researcher interactions
- Understand how to work to NIHR INVOLVE standards
- Know how to effectively communicate and feedback to public contributors
This workshop is a level 2 course and delegates will be expected to have either attended our level 1 course, PPIR First Principles, or have an equivalent level of knowledge. As a basic, you would be expected to be familiar with the content of the INVOLVE Briefing Notes for Researchers.
Materials to bring with you
It is not compulsory to bring anything with you, but you may get more out of the workshop if you bring the following
- A lay summary of your project, either on paper or on laptop/tablet
- A laptop/tablet with internet connection