Geoffrey Ma Birmingham Hong Kong Masters Scholarship
- Level of study
- Postgraduate research masters, Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Economic Development and Regeneration, Economics, Education, European Studies, Health Services Management, International Development, International Public Administration, International Relations, Local Government Studies, Marketing and Communications, Planning, Political Science, Russian and East European Studies, Social Studies, Social Work, Sociology, Teacher Training, Urban and Regional Studies
- Hong Kong
- Type of Award
- External, University
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 31/07/2023 (Note: competition closed for this year)
We are proud to be launching the Geoffrey Ma Birmingham Hong Kong Masters Scholarship to attract and support the most academically talented international students from across the world to our master’s degrees during the 2023/24 academic year.
The University of Birmingham is pleased to announce a limited number of scholarships of £10,000 for Hong Kong domiciled international students applying for entry to a postgraduate taught master’s programmes at the University starting September 2023.
These are joint awards with our local representatives Aston Education, IDP Education, SI-UK Hong Kong and the University’s Hong Kong Alumni Association (The University of Birmingham Hong Kong Foundation), and will be awarded to high-performing Hong Kong domiciled international students starting their University of Birmingham programme in September 2023.
Value of Award
The scholarship award is for £10,000 towards tuition fees for an eligible full-time one-year masters taught programme at the University of Birmingham UK campus, starting September 2023
In order to be eligible, candidates must:
- You should have an excellent academic background. Candidates should have or be expecting a 2.1 in a bachelors degree or equivalent.
- Meet the academic conditions of their offer to the programme.
- Have received, and accepted, an offer of a place to study a full-time one-year masters taught programme at the University of Birmingham UK campus starting September 2023.
- Be classed as Hong Kong domiciled.
- Be classed by the University as an overseas fee payer for tuition fee payment. Should be able to fund the remaining costs of their studies at Birmingham from other sources.
- Have sufficient funds to cover the full cost of living for a year at the University of Birmingham, plus any visa/travel expenses associated with studying in the UK.
- Start their studies at the University in September/ October 2023 on a course delivered on-campus, the scholarship award may not be deferred.
- Have paid the standard £2,000 Admissions deposit by the deadline stated in the offer letter.
- Be registered with, and have their postgraduate study application attached to, one of our local representatives – Aston Education, IDP Education or SI-UK Hong Kong. A student may only apply through one local representative.
- Upon enrolment in September 2023, pay their net tuition fees for the first year by 1 November, immediately following enrolment.
- Submit your scholarship application through one of our local representatives by the deadline; 31 July 2023.
Are there any programmes not eligible?
- If you decide to defer your programme start date to September 2024, you will no longer be eligible as the scholarship is only available for programmes starting in September 2023.
- Students seeking to study on a course solely delivered as a ‘distance learning’ / online programme are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Students applying for programmes in the Birmingham Business School are not eligible for this scholarship but are eligible for other separate MSc and MBA scholarships offered by the Business School.
- Undergraduate degree programmes including the LLB Law for Graduates, MSc Physiotherapy (pre-registration), MBChB, MEng, MSci and MPharm programmes are not eligible.
- Students already registered and studying on a programme at the University of Birmingham are not eligible for the award.
How to Apply
This is a competitive scholarship, please ensure you have fulfilled the eligibility requirements outlined above.
To apply for the scholarship you will need to formally accept the offer you receive from the University’s Admissions Office, by the deadline stated on your offer. You can do this via the postgraduate portal from the University of Birmingham and be in contact with one of our representatives by 31 July 2023 (this date may be subject to change).
Selection for the shortlisting interviews will be based on academic performance and a 150-200 word summary on ‘Why Birmingham’ to be submitted to your local representative.
Selection process and awarding
Once the deadline has passed the scholarship applications will be collated and a longlist for interview formed based on the information provided. Successful candidates for interviews will be formally notified via email or though their local representative. Regrettably, owing to the volume of applications received, we will only be contacting those who have been successfully selected for interview.
Applicants will be shortlisted for interviews which are to be held in August 2023 online or at local representative offices in Hong Kong. The scholarships will be announced shortly after the interview. All interviewed applications will be contacted about the outcome.
To fully secure the scholarship, you will also be required to pay the standard £2,000 (GBP) admissions deposit by the deadline set by the Admissions Office in your offer letter. (For the purposes of this scholarship selection process, your deposit must be paid by 31st July 23:59 GMT).
The full scholarship will be awarded upon enrolment on studies in September 2023.
Are there any other conditions to this scholarship?
In accepting and securing this scholarship, awardees are expected to support the University, to a reasonable extent, by providing profiles testimonials and engaging in ambassadorial activities if requested by the University.
For further information please contact our local representatives:
T. 2866 9933
IDP Education Limited (Hong Kong)
SI-UK Hong Kong
T. 6603 7792