Kalisher Trust LLM Scholarship
- Level of study
- Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Ireland, UK
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closes 03/06/2022
The University of Birmingham is offering a scholarship for students on the LLM Criminal Law and Criminal Justice pathway or the LLM (General) pathway. This scholarship will cover the cost of tuition fees and provide a generous contribution of £6,000 towards maintenance costs. This scholarship is being funded by the Kalisher Trust and Birmingham Law School. As well as meeting the academic entry requirements of the Birmingham LLM programme, applicants for this scholarship must also meet the eligibility criteria.
The Scholarship Award comes with mentorship with from senior members of the Bar, further training and networking opportunities. The current president of the Trust is Lord Judge and the Trust has an illustrious membership from the most Senior judiciary and the Bar which enables Awardees to benefit from expertise, and professional connections of the Trust providing a much sought after entry point to the Criminal Bar. The Trust supports and encourages further study at LLM level to expand the depth of knowledge of Awardees and supports them to gain additional skills in preparation for a career at the Criminal Bar.
The mission of the Kalisher Trust is to encourage and support talented students who may find the costs of reaching the Criminal Bar prohibitive. The Trust seeks talent irrespective of background and since its inception in 1996 it has helped hundreds of young people, from primary school children to young barristers, as they work towards success in this most demanding profession.
Benefits of the Award
- LLM Tuition fees waiver
- £6000 maintenance bursary towards living costs
- Mentorship with one of the Trust many illustrious members
- Access to further Trust training and events
- Confidence and skills building
Before applying for a scholarship, you must have completed an application to study an LLM course at the University of Birmingham. You should apply through your chosen LLM pathway course page and select: Apply for this course.
Value of Award
Full tuition payment and £6,000 towards maintenance costs.
To be eligible for this award:
- You must be resident in the UK and classed as UK/Ireland for fee purposes
- You must demonstrate intellectual ability – through academic performance, employment, and/or other experiences.
- You must demonstrate motivation to succeed at the Criminal Bar – including demonstrating the steps taken to acquire the personal skills required of a Barrister and a demonstration of the will to succeed.
- You must demonstrate potential as an advocate – both in oral and written skills
- You must demonstrate financial need, specifically outlining the impact of the scholarship on your aspirations to undertake the LLM programme or to pursue a career at the Bar.
- You must be self-funded, and not be in receipt of any other sources of funding
- The award is for 1 year only and cannot be deferred
- You must have applied for a place on our LLM General pathway with the intention of completing the LLM General or the LLM Criminal Law and Criminal Justice before applying for the scholarship.
Closing date for applications is no later than 5pm BST on Friday 3 June 2022.
Please do not apply unless you have applied for the Birmingham LLM as your application won't be considered.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to submit an application form which includes an 800 word statement asking to be considered for the scholarship and explaining why they believe they meet the selection criteria below. Applicants should complete the Kalisher Trust LLM Scholarship Application form and submit this and a CV to email@example.com stating "Kalisher Trust LLM Scholarship Application" and your student ID number in the email subject. Those shortlisted for the scholarship may be invited for interview.
Download the application form