David Wright Pathway Music Scholarship
- Level of study
- Any Undergraduate
- Subject area
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 16/06/2023 (Note: competition closed for this year)
The objective of the David Wright Pathway is to inspire more young people to follow their dreams and study for a degree in Music at the University of Birmingham. Funding is aimed at students from less advantaged backgrounds to continue their music education to degree level (and potentially further), without the financial constraints preventing them from doing so. There are two awards available per academic year from 2023/24 onwards.
Value of Award
The David Wright Pathway award is valued at £5,000 per academic year.
In order to be eligible to apply, you must meet the following criteria
- Have an offer to study BMus Music, BA Mathematics and Music or BA Modern Languages and Music
- Meet one of the following criteria which are reflective of the eligibility criteria for Pathways to Birmingham:
- Attend or attended a school or college that performs below the national average at Key Stage 4 or Key Stage 5
- Currently live in a low progression area
- Be in the first generation of your immediate family to attend higher education
- Have a household income is below the national average (below £42,875)
- Have a disability and are in receipt of a personal independence payment
- Be estranged from both of your parents or guardians
- Have experienced significant extenuating circumstances that has had (or is having) a detrimental impact on academic attainment
- Provide unpaid care to a friend or family member (is a young carer)
- Have been in receipt of or eligible for Free School Meals in the last 6 years
- Have experience of public care
You will be asked to provide supporting evidence for your selected eligibility criteria when you make your application.
You will also be asked to provide evidence of your musical ability, including evidence of performance and written composition work.
How to Apply
The deadline for 2023 entry has now passed. The deadline for 2024 entry is to be confirmed. Please check back in early 2024.
Funding, Graduation & Awards