Gateway bursary scheme

The Gateway bursary provides financial support to students at the University of Birmingham undertaking internships or work experience relevant to their future career. The aim of the bursary is to assist students in improving their personal and professional development by allowing them to take up critical experiences they may otherwise not be able to afford. Awards are available for work experience placements throughout the academic year.

How to apply

Careers Network has provided the below information to support you with completing your Work Experience Bursary application form. Please click on the relevant hyperlink to find out more.

It is highly recommended to read each section of information in detail to ensure you complete your application to a suitable standard. If you have any questions or require further information, you can contact the Careers Network Internship Officer responsible for managing the bursary for which you are applying, by emailing

Once the application deadline has passed, all applications received on-line will be assessed by Careers Network staff. Applicants who are successful in passing this first assessment stage will then be invited to attend a short panel interview and to deliver a five minute presentation, training for which will be provided. If you pass both of these stages, you may then be granted a bursary.

Application deadline: 8 April 2018

Who can apply

The Gateway bursary has been created to support all undergraduate students, including international students, except those in their final year (including international students), from certain priority groups; so only students who consider themselves part of the following categories may apply:

  • In receipt of a standard or alternative A2B (Access to Birmingham) offer
  • Registered as disabled / in receipt of Disability Student Allowance
  • A care leaver
  • First generation of the family into higher education
  • From a lower income background i.e. in receipt of a grant or scholarship
  • A lone parent (you are a single parent of one or more children)
  • From an ethnic minority

Support available

Financial support is tiered up to £2,000 though most awards will fall between £100 and £780. The bursary will be used to help with expenses such as:

  • Accommodation
  • Travel
  • Living costs
  • Utilities bills
  • Insurance
  • Childcare
  • Disability support services

Usually 90% of the bursary will be paid before a placement begins, with the remaining 10% being paid after the work experience is completed and a placement report has been handed in. The bursary may be used to help fund international placements though students must provide a good reason as to why this experience cannot be found in the UK.

Documents for your application

You will be asked to supply a range of information as part of your online application; find out more about the documents required.

Interview skills

If you are successful in your initial application, you will be invited to attend an interview. For more information about interview skills, visit our interview resources:

Previous winners

See details of previous winners of our work experience funding schemes and their experiences.

The Intern Group - Funding University of Birmingham

If you are applying to the Gateway and/or International Work Experience Bursary and it is for an opportunity with The Intern Group, you may be entitled to additional discount on your budget due an exclusive scholarship. Please state in your applicaiton, within the budget section, that you would like to be considered for this scholarship.


Each year many students fundraise themselves  to cover all or part of their costs, particularly for opportunities overseeas. ICS is a UK Government funded programme providing overseas volunteer placements to 18-25 year olds and Team Leader placements to 23-35 year olds. They have put together a handy guide on how to fundraise yourself (PDF - 673KB).

Find out more information on ICS and the opporunities they offer.