If you are not able to attend your ceremony
If you are unable to attend your Degree Congregation you have two options. You can either choose to graduate in absentia or defer your graduation.
- If you choose to graduate in absentia then you will be unable to attend a Degree Congregation at a later date.
- If you would like to attend a Degree Congregation at a later date, then you must choose to defer your graduation. Please note that if you choose to defer then you will not receive your certificate until you attend your later Degree Congregation.
How do I confirm that I wish to graduate in absentia, or defer my graduation?
You can select either of these options online when you receive your email inviting you to confirm your graduation preference:
- To confirm that you wish to graduate in absentia log into www.my.bham.ac.uk, click on the myProgress tab then on the Degree Congregations link. Select the ‘I do not wish to attend my Degree Congregation’ option and then confirm the delivery address for your certificate.
- To confirm that you wish to defer your graduation log into www.my.bham.ac.uk, click on the myProgress tab then on the Degree Congregations link. Select the 'defer' option and then submit.
If you are attempting to confirm that you wish to either graduate in absentia or defer after Tuesday 15 October 2019 please contact Funding, Graduation & Awards.
When will I receive my certificate if I have graduated in absentia?
You should receive your certificate by the end of January 2020. Your certificate will be posted to the address confirmed by you online, or via email with the Funding, Graduation & Awards team.
Certificates are posted by Royal Mail 2nd-class post unless you purchase an alternative delivery method. You can choose to have your certificate sent via DHL, which will allow you to track the delivery. Unfortunately we can only provide tracking information for those certificates posted via DHL.
Certificates are sent in batches; therefore,friends and colleagues may receive their certificate before you, but if your certificate fails to arrive by Monday 3 February 2020 then please report it missing via this link.
If you need to change your delivery address, please ensure this is done before Monday 9 December 2019, otherwise your certificate will be posted to your old address and you will be charged to issue a replacement certificate.
How do I order DHL delivery?
To order DHL delivery for your in absentia certificate please visit the University's online shop.
- The deadline to order DHL is midnight on Friday 13 December 2019.
- Please provide all required information, ensuring it is accurate.
- Once you have placed your order it is not possible to amend any of the data provided.
- For security reasons we can only dispatch orders placed by the graduate themselves.
Can I get my certificate early?
Certificates can only be issued after the Degree Congregation at which they were conferred has taken place. If you require your certificate urgently then please follow the guidelines above for ordering DHL delivery.
Can I collect my certificate?
Owing to the high number of graduands, we are not able to offer a collection service.
Can a friend collect my certificate on my behalf?
To ensure that certificates are only issued to people who have a right to them, we can not offer this service.