The University of Birmingham and BAM share several wide-ranging research interests, including those relating to Energy Research, Environmental Sciences, Additive Manufacturing, and Chemistry. Our partnership agreement provides a positive framework for interaction in these areas, through which programmes of joint activities are developed. Both organisation renewed their collaboration agreement in December 2022 for another 3 years to 2025, working together across a number of key research fields.
BAM is a senior scientific and technical federal institute with responsibility to the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy in Germany. It provides testing, analysis, research and advice to protect people, the environment, and material goods.
BAM is responsible for:
- further development of safety in technology and chemistry.
- implementation and evaluation of physical and chemical tests of materials and facilities, including the preparation of reference processes and reference materials.
- promotion of knowledge and technology transfer within BAM's areas of work.
- cooperation in the development of statutory regulations, for example concerning the setting of safety standards and limits.
- advice to the Federal Government, industry, and national and international organisations in the fields of material technology and chemistry.
BAM, as an institution has five focus areas:
- Energy - research throughout energy carriers' usage chain, from production, to storage, to consumption, to disposal.
- Infrastructure - technical reliability and ongoing safety of infrastructure systems and components, as well as all modes of transport.
- Environment – research on the diverse and long-term reciprocal effects between materials and the environment.
- Materials - characterisation, period of use, reliability and sustainability of substances as well as basic and other materials.
- Analytical Sciences - methodological and instrumental aspects of testing and measurement processes to determine reliable data.
For further information, or if you are a UoB researcher looking to connect with BAM, please contact:
Prof Tim Albrecht, Director of Global Engagement (EPS) firstname.lastname@example.org
Professional Lead and Support:
Xavier Rodde, Assistant Director (Research Strategy and Services), RSSD email@example.com
For UoB staff interested in BAM collaborations, please visit our intranet page for more information.