University of Birmingham launches innovative online qualification in 'green law'
The University of Birmingham announced today the launch of the new Online LLM in Energy and Environmental Law, which will be taught through the Birmingham Law School.
Developed in collaboration with Wiley Education Services, a division of Wiley that provides tailored services and technology solutions for university and enterprise partners, this online programme has been developed to offer qualified lawyers - or those working in the sector - the opportunity to respond to local and global environmental challenges, anywhere in the world.
“Environmental issues and the de-carbonisation of energy will herald significant economic change in the 21st century,” said Professor Robert Lee, Programme Director at University of Birmingham. “Jobs will follow, and this course positions students to take advantage of these opportunities as they arise.”
The initial set of programmes offered through the Wiley partnership - the Online MBA, MSc International Business and Master of Public Administration - launched in 2015 and has attracted students from across the world. The new Online LLM will receive its first intake of students in March 2020 and is expected to have global appeal.
“I am incredibly excited by this latest addition to our growing portfolio of online degree programmes,” said Ian Myatt, Director of Insights, Channels and Educational Enterprise for University of Birmingham. “It feels fitting that a course designed to consider such an important worldwide challenge is being delivered on a platform that is truly global.”
While the University of Birmingham has long been an established provider of distance learning programmes, the Online LLM is the first fully online postgraduate degree to be delivered through the Law School.
“Birmingham Law School is excited to launch its first online distance learning LLM, providing a high quality and flexible programme in Energy and Environmental Law designed to meet the needs of those with professional responsibilities and an enthusiasm for knowledge in this important area of law and practice,” said Professor Lisa Webley, Head of Birmingham Law School.
Wiley is a global market leader in supporting higher education institutions to develop unparalleled distance learning programmes. The University of Birmingham partnership was their first institutional alliance in Europe.
“We’re thrilled to support the launch of a new programme with the University of Birmingham that will create a pipeline of talent in this important space,” said Patrick Griffin, Regional Vice President of International Operations for Wiley. “The LLM in Energy and Environmental Law squarely meets a market need and does so with a level of quality and breadth that is unmatched in the distance learning space. We’re very excited to welcome students from around the world to this prestigious University and on to a programme that will bolster not only their careers, but their ability to drive positive change in an area of monumental importance.”
The partnership will continue to refine the online programmes available and support the provision and access of online learning and teaching in a global environment to drive optimum student outcomes.
For more information, please contact:
Tony Moran, International Communications Manager, University of Birmingham on +44 (0) 121 414 8254 or +44 (0)782 783 2312. For out-of-hours enquiries, call +44 (0) 7789 921 165.
Wiley Media Contact: Lauren Andrich on +1 201 748 5838 email@example.com
Notes to Editors
- The University of Birmingham is ranked amongst the world’s top 100 institutions, its work brings people from across the world to Birmingham, including researchers and teachers and more than 6,500 international students from over 150 countries.
- For almost a century, Birmingham Law School has led the way in legal education and research. The School’s academic staff contains experts at the forefront of environmental legislation.
- The University of Birmingham is already one of the largest providers of Distance and Blended learning programmes in the UK. It offers a broad range of post-qualification teacher training (through the School of Education) and economic development (through the International Development Department), as well as an innovative distance learning PhD programme across all areas of Arts and Law.
- Wiley drives the world forward with research and education. Through publishing, platforms and services, we help students, researchers, universities, and corporations to achieve their goals in an ever-changing world. For more than 200 years, we have delivered consistent performance to all of our stakeholders. The Company's website can be accessed at www.wiley.com.
About Wiley Education Services
- Wiley Education Services, a division of Wiley, is a leading, global provider of technology-enabled education solutions to meet the evolving needs of universities, corporations and ultimately, learners. We partner with more than 60 institutions across the U.S., Europe and Australia, and support over 800 degree programs. Our best-in-class services and market insights are driven by our deep commitment and expertise—proven to elevate enrollment, retention and completion rates. For more information visit edservices.wiley.com.