The global COVID-19 pandemic has resulted in over 121 million confirmed cases across 219 countries, with over 2.6 million recorded deaths. Its far-reaching socio-economic impacts are unprecedented in our time. Potential prophylactic treatments to prevent infection, adds another layer pf protection in our armoury against the virus, in addition to social distancing, increased hygiene efforts, face-masks, hand gels and the approved vaccines.
SARS-CoV-2 is easily transmitted person-to-person, primarily via airborne droplets released through breathing, coughing, sneezing or talking, even when asymptomatic. Droplets travel through the air, landing on mouths or noses of others in close proximity. Once inside, the virus attaches to the epithelial lining or mucous membranes in the nose or mouth and replicates, prior to travelling toward the lungs. The nasal cavity then represents one of the major routes for viral entry into the body and an ideal site to inhibit potential transmission. In addition, during early-onset, viral load is believed to be highest in the nose.
The inventors have developed potent antiviral compositions, active in preventing infection by SARS-CoV-2. Based on naturally derived antiviral sulphated polysaccharides from red seaweed, the formulations coat epithelial cells which support viral entry, preventing infection by acting as a physical barrier.
Efficacy of drug delivery to the nasal cavity relies on a sufficient dose being applied across the nasal mucosa and its adhesive properties, to remain localised to the site of activity. The novel formulation exhibits both improved sprayability and retention over existing
- Prevents COVID-19 by inhibiting SARS-CoV-2 infection, and reduced viral load for infected individuals that are early-onset
- Improved sprayability and retention for better surface coverage (6x more than other nasal sprays) in the nasal cavity due to a more viscous formulation
- Naturally derived antiviral agent to deactivate the virus
- Widely applicable mode of action
- Fast regulatory approval as a medical device, due to the formulation acting as a physical barrier to infection
- Formulation is compatible with current industrial processes for easy manufacture
- Raw materials are cheap and easy to source for rapid manufacture
- Raw materials already widely used in food and pharma for rapid translation
- Prophylactic treatment of susceptible individuals to inhibit transmission of SARS-CoV-2
- Treatment of infected individuals during the early-onset of COVID-19, to help reduce higher viral loads
- Joint Venture
- Development Partner with experience of developing and selling medical devices or nasal sprays