It is important that the personal information we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep your personal information updated during your relationship with us.
What personal data will be processed?
University of Birmingham Enterprise processes a range of information about you, this includes as appropriate: your name, organisation, postal address, telephone number and email address.
If you are a member of The University of Birmingham we may ask you for further information but only in relation to specific services we are providing you with (such as your bank details for receipt of payments and your home address for legal agreements).
Our Enterprise Acceleration team which includes our BizzInn and BioHub incubators will track information about start-ups and spin-out companies. This information will include; contact details, contract details if applicable, trading starting dates, employee numbers and details, capital raised, revenue, incubator details, awards, competitions and programmes. For BizzInn tenants further information may include; ethnicity, age, gender and disability.
Our Research Park team will collect information on tenants of the Research Park such as their contact details, company number, registered office, employee numbers and details, and bank details for financial transactions. Visitors to the Research Park should be aware that CCTV is in operation within the common areas of the site. CCTV images (not just visitors, everyone who accesses the site). Employee names, addresses, numbers, swipe access (swipe card details - name, telephone number, full/part time, car registration).
For job candidates we collect information about you when you apply for a position at the company, such as; your name, address and contact details, including email address and telephone numbers; details of your qualifications, skills, registrations, experience with previous employers and references. Immigration information including immigration and right to work status, visa details, passport number and expiry date.
If you are a member of University of Birmingham Enterprise staff we process a range of information about you which includes; your name and contact details and other personal details such as your date of birth, information about your emergency contacts and information about your remuneration.
What is the purpose of the processing?
University of Birmingham Enterprise will process your data for the following puproses. We will process the personal data of academics, researchers, students, graduates, business clients and other stakeholders (‘data subjects’), in order to deliver and improve the opportunities and services we provide in a personalised manner, to ensure each individual receives relevant information and to ensure we use resources in the most efficient and effective way.
Information about you will only be used:
- If you have provided us with your consent; or
- If processing is necessary for the performance of a contract to which the data subject is party or in order to take steps at the request of the data subject prior to entering into a contract; or
- If it is in the legitimate interest of University of Birmingham Enterprise to process information about you as you are part of the University of Birmingham community. Thus, we would very much like to stay in touch with you and keep you informed of our events, technologies, news and services; or
- For Human Resource recruitment and selection purposes
With your consent our Enterprise Acceleration team will -
- Keep you up to date via electronic, postal and telephone communications with news, events, activities, programmes, technology, services, funding and progress of interest to you
- Process information about you to administer your attendance at our events, and after the event, send you presentations and surveys
- Send you marketing information on University of Birmingham technologies
On the basis of our contractual obligations to you we will:
- Process contracts to fulfil obligations in providing services such as; consultancy, deal making, contract research agreements, translational funding award applications, industry supervisory roles, licensing agreements and research programme activity
- Track progression of consultancy projects including the financials for reporting purposes to Heads of College
- Monitor University of Birmingham staff and student entries into enterprise awards, programmes and competitions
- Maintain records of BizzInn and BioHub incubation tenants to process contracts and ensure effective service provision
- Capture external, past and current researcher and academic disclosures of inventions and technologies, patent filings, potential monies due to inventions and royalty statements for administration and contract purposes
- Process the University technology and the negotiation and conclusion of licence agreements of the technologies
- Allow the identification of academics and researchers for potential industry collaborations for contract and collaborative research, consultancy opportunities, engagement activities and industry funding awards
- Process payment of royalties to past and current researchers and academics
On the basis of our legitimate business interests to you we will:
- Supply you with the products, services and information that you request from us and to allow us to respond to your enquiry accordingly
- Analyse the information we collect so that we can administer, support and improve and develop the website to ensure continuous improvement of our services
- With your consent we will inform mentors and business professionals of opportunities that may be of interest to them
- Notify you about changes to our service
What is the legal basis of the processing?
We consider the processing of your personal data for the purposes listed above, to be necessary for:
- The performance of our contractual obligations with you and your contractual obligations to us, and to enable both you and University of Birmingham Enterprise to exercise rights under our contract;
- The fulfilment of University of Birmingham Entperirse legitimate business interests
- With your consent
- We will only process special category data with your explicit consent, or if it is necessary
Who will your personal data be shared with?
Within University of Birmingham Enterprise, your data is shared with those staff who need access to deliver and support the purposes described above.
Your personal data may be shared with external organisations as necessary for the purposes set out above and as permitted or required by law.
We may also disclose your personal information to The University of Birmingham or any other wholly owned subsidiary of The University of Birmingham for the purposes outlined in this statement.
University of Birmingham Enterprise Ltd will not share data with external organisations for marketing their products and services without your consent. We do not sell your personal data to third parties under any circumstances, or permit third parties to sell on the data we have shared with them.
How long is your data kept?
Your data will be retained throughout any business interactions as part of any intellectual property, licensing and consultancy service activities, and will be held securely thereafter until you ask us to remove it or for a period of 7 years after final interaction.
The right to be forgotten does not apply in all circumstances. Data subjects have the right to have their personal data erased if:
- The personal data is no longer necessary for the purpose which you originally collected or processed it for;
- You are relying on consent as your lawful basis and the individual withdraws consent;
- You are relying on legitimate interests as your basis for processing, the individual objects to the processing of their data, and there is no overriding legitimate interest to continue processing;
- You are processing the personal data for direct marketing purposes and the individual objects to that processing;
- You have processed the personal data unlawfully;
- You have to do it to comply with a legal obligation; or
- You have processed the personal data to offer information society services to a child.
Otherwise data is kept for the duration of the retention schedule listed.
If you are a BizzInn tenant or receiving support through the BioHub incubator, as funded by ERDF (European Development Fund) your records will be kept until 2028 (as per the ERDF retention policy). If you are in receipt of any support from the Birmingham Knowledge Economy Business Incubation Partnership project (BKEBIP), your records will be kept until 2033 (as per the BKEBIP retention policy).
For job candidates, if your application for employment is unsuccessful, we will keep your data for 7 months after the end of the relevant recruitment process, after which your data will be securely deleted or destroyed.
Your rights in relation to your data?
As a data subject, you have the following rights in relation to your data which is processed by University of Birmingham Enterprise:
1. To access the personal information held about you. This is known as a Subject Access Request. If you would like a copy of the information held on our records, please contact us using the details below [DPO Details outlined below]
2. To correct inaccuracies, or where appropriate and taking into account the purpose for which we process your data, the right to have incomplete data completed;
3. To have your personal data erased. This is a limited right, with exceptions such as when the processing is required by law or in the public interest;
4. To object to the processing of your personal data for marketing purposes;
5. To object to the processing of your personal data when the processing is based on specific criteria such as legitimate interests, unless we have compelling lawful grounds to continue;
6. To restrict the processing of your personal data. This is a limited right which will apply in specific circumstances for a limited period.;
7. To ask for the transfer of your data electronically to a third party;
8. Where the legal basis for us processing your personal data is consent, to withdraw that consent at any time.
University of Birmingham Enterprise will provide you with a copy of all information maintained about you upon written request to:
Data Protection Officer
University of Birmingham Enterprise, Birmingham Research Park, Vincent Drive, Edgbsaton, Birmingham, B15 2SQ
Or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
University of Birmingham Enterprise will correct any inaccuracies in such information as soon as practicable after being notified in writing. Any user may also require that this information be removed from their records by writing or by emailing to the above address.
Are changes made to this webpage?
This webpage is effective from 24 May 2018. It is reviewed when necessary and at least annually. Any changes will be published here and you will be notified by email or as appropriate.