Whether you're looking for a career as an academic, moving into a new sector or building your professional experience, we can offer you advice and guidance both during and after your degree.
Our aim is to help you grow intellectually and gain the skills, understanding and attributes that lead to the career you want. Whatever your motivation for postgraduate study, we are here to support you to achieve your personal goals.
Birmingham postgraduates are highly sought after. We were the 3rd most targeted university in the UK by top employers (The Graduate Market in 2019), demonstrating our commitment to you and your future.
Professor Kathy Armour
Pro-Vice Chancellor (Education)
“We are a destination of choice for those wishing to secure a top-flight career in many areas. Birmingham is a place for leading scientists, professionals and students to be involved in world-class research and achieve a degree that will enhance professional opportunities around the world.”
Services for Masters students (taught postgraduates)
We offer a number of services to help you make the most of your masters year. We can help you to gain experience, develop a broad range of skills and make useful connections for your future career.
We can offer you:
- One-to-one career guidance from your College-specific advisers
- CV and job application advice, to help you stand out to employers
- An annual programme of careers fairs on campus for you to meet employers and find out about a range of opportunities available to you
- Employer presentations, giving you the chance to make contacts and find out more about what companies and organisations have to offer
- Careers workshops to help you with areas such as interview skills and finding work experience
- Graduate Mentoring
- Skills training for postgraduates
- Support and advice on setting up your own business
- Online career action planning tools and self-enrolment career development courses to use in your own time and support your career planning
Services for postgraduate researchers
Each of our colleges has its own careers and employability team. These teams deliver tailored programmes of careers events for you, and can provide you with advice and guidance services at locations within the colleges.
As postgraduate researchers, we can offer you the skills above, but also some additional support:
- PGR specific careers advice, including non-academic career options
- PGR careers planning for both academic and non-academic career paths
- Careers events specifically for postgraduate researchers
- Self-guided online courses to explore your skills and motivations for your career
- University Graduate School events, including socials, academic and wellbeing events and monthly welcome and induction activities
- Westmere Careers workshop series for postgraduate researchers (Westmere is the base for our postgraduate researchers)