Cross-Cultural Issues in Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Module code: 26297
Value: 20 credits
Programme: Inclusion and Special Educational Needs
This module will enable you to gain an understanding of trends and trajectories in the development of SEND and inclusive education, as well as serve as a survey of disability studies and education from an international perspective. You will be supported to undertake critical analysis of cross-cultural dimensions of SEND and inclusive education, with particular attention to your own context. You will also be engaged in critical reflection on the positive and negative impact of cross-cultural dimensions, in your own contexts and those of others, and on professional identity and praxis. The potential of ‘interventions’ that have a cross-cultural basis (eg in disability studies, philosophy and the arts) to stimulate inclusive policy and practice will be examined.
- Comparative analysis of trends and trajectories in SEND and inclusive education
- Analysis of cross-cultural dimensions of SEND and inclusive education
- Critical reflection of the relationship between cross-cultural issues and the development of SEND professional identify and practice
- Analysis of the impact of cross-cultural ‘interventions’ (from disability studies, philosophy and the arts) on policy and practice in respect of SEND and inclusive education.
4,000 word portfolio (100%), to consist of;
- Four exemplar weekly reflection papers
- Final Written assignment