Cross-Cultural Issues in Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
Module code: 26297
Value: 20 credits
This module will enable you to gain an understanding of trends and trajectories in the development of SEND and inclusive education, as well as serve as a survey of disability studies and education from an international perspective. You will be supported to undertake critical analysis of cross-cultural dimensions of SEND and inclusive education, with particular attention to your own context. You will also be engaged in critical reflection on the positive and negative impact of cross-cultural dimensions, in your own contexts and those of others, and on professional identity and praxis. The potential of ‘interventions’ that have a cross-cultural basis (eg in disability studies, philosophy and the arts) to stimulate inclusive policy and practice will be examined.
- Comparative analysis of trends and trajectories in SEND and inclusive education
- Analysis of cross-cultural dimensions of SEND and inclusive education
- Critical reflection of the relationship between cross-cultural issues and the development of SEND professional identify and practice
- Analysis of the impact of cross-cultural ‘interventions’ (from disability studies, philosophy and the arts) on policy and practice in respect of SEND and inclusive education.
4,000 word portfolio (100%), to consist of;
- Four exemplar weekly reflection papers
- Final Written assignment