Discover research and pedagogical insights to develop your practice
This microcredential is for individuals who are interested in how insights from different areas of linguistic research (including psycholinguistics, sociolinguistics, discourse analysis, and corpus linguistics) can inform language teaching.
You will be guided through the microcredential by the course convenor, joined by a team of researchers from the Department of English Language and Linguistics who will introduce their research and the implications of their findings for language teaching.
Discount for IATEFL members
We are offering a £100 discount for IATEFL members who apply for one of our TESOL microcredentials, either TESOL: Language Teaching Methodology or TESOL: Insights into Language Teaching. You will first need to apply for the course (applications will open soon for spring 2024) and then complete the discount form.
IATEFL member discount form
Explore the pedagogy of language teaching
By the end of this course, you will have gained an overview of recent research and pedagogical insights into language teaching and have identified resources for continuous professional development.
You will be encouraged to reflect on and develop your own teaching practice in light of these.
Who is this course for?
- Recent graduates who want to become language teachers and have an interest in linguistic research
- EFL / ESL teachers who want to inform their teaching practice with research and pedagogical insights from linguistics
- Individuals who are interested in a “taster” of the University of Birmingham’s MA TESOL or Applied Linguistics distance learning programmes
This microcredential caters to both learners who have a general interest in language teaching and those who already have practical language teaching experience. The course is open to those who have already completed the TESOL: Language Teaching Methodology microcredential offered by the University of Birmingham, but this is not a pre-requisite. On successful completion of both microcredentials, you will be awarded 20 UK Credits at Postgraduate level from the University of Birmingham.
What skills will you learn?
- Apply insights from the fields of cognitive linguistics, sociolinguistics, discourse analysis, and corpus linguistics to your language teaching practice
- Explore the use of the English language across a variety of social, professional, and international contexts
- Use digital technologies, corpora, and literature in the language classroom
- Communicate complex ideas in the field of language teaching effectively
How to apply?
When clicking on the Apply Now button you will be directed to an application specifically designed for TESOL: Insights into Lanuage Teaching. You will create an account with the University application system and complete a short form to register onto the course.
Applications are now closed. Information about the next intake will be available in due course. Please register your interest to receive updates.
Learn alongside experts at The Department of English Language and Linguistics
With more than 20 years of experience running TESOL programmes globally, you’ll benefit from the expertise of specialists at The Department of English Language and Linguistics and the University of Birmingham.
This microcredential provides you with a route into TESOL teaching, helping you gain valuable teaching skills to pursue a career in this in-demand role.
What is a microcredential?
Microcredentials are designed to upskill you for work in rapidly-growing industries, without the time and cost commitment of a full degree. Your microcredential can stand alone as an independent credential, and some also offer academic credit to use towards a degree.
- Learn online with expert instructors: Complete online courses led by experts over 12 weeks with a dedicated group of professionals.
- Complete project-based assessments: Test your understanding with online tutor-marked assessments and exercises.
- Earn a professional credential: Finish your learning and pass your assessments to gain an accredited credential.
- Advance further in your career: Use your microcredential as evidence of your specialised skills and progress further in your industry.