Discover the skills required to successfully teach English abroad
The number of English language learners continues to grow and with it comes a growing demand for skilled English teachers.
This microcredential will help you become a teacher of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and help you to progress your career in the UK or abroad.
You’ll delve into language learning theory and research-based teaching practices to equip yourself with the skills for a rewarding role as a TESOL teacher.
Discover teaching methods for delivering effective English language lessons
Influenced by the latest classroom teaching methodology, you’ll be introduced to different types of teaching for meeting every learners’ needs.
Covering key teaching concepts such as the communicative approach, you’ll learn when to use certain methods and hone your ability to evaluate different teaching ideas and materials.
Using this knowledge, you’ll learn how to plan and deliver a communicative lesson that is tailored to your learners.
Explore teaching concepts that are specific to language teaching
The final sections of the microcredential will teach you how to form the structure of your language lessons efficiently and effectively.
You’ll learn how to teach specific skills in speaking, listening, writing, and reading so that you’re fully equipped to help your students excel.
Learn alongside experts at The Department of English Language and Linguistics
With more than 20 years of experience running TESOL programmes globally, you’ll benefit from the expertise of specialists at The Department of English Language and Linguistics and the University of Birmingham.
This microcredential provides you with a route into TESOL teaching, helping you gain valuable teaching skills to pursue a career in this in-demand role.
What is a microcredential?
Microcredentials are designed to upskill you for work in rapidly-growing industries, without the time and cost commitment of a full degree. Your microcredential can stand alone as an independent credential, and some also offer academic credit to use towards a degree.
- Learn online with expert instructors: Complete online courses led by experts over 12-16 weeks with a dedicated group of professionals.
- Complete project-based assessments: Test your understanding with online tutor-marked assessments and exercises.
- Earn a professional credential: Finish your learning and pass your assessments to gain an accredited credential.
- Advance further in your career: Use your microcredential as evidence of your specialised skills and progress further in your industry.
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps, but you can complete them as quickly or slowly as you like
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate