Discover the skills required to successfully teach English abroad
The number of English language learners continues to grow and with it comes a growing demand for qualified and experienced teachers of English.
This microcredential will help you become a better teacher of TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) and help you to progress your career in the UK and abroad.
You’ll delve into language learning theory and research-based teaching practices to equip yourself with the skills for a rewarding role as a TESOL teacher.
Discover teaching methods for delivering effective English language lessons
Influenced by the latest classroom teaching methodology, you’ll be introduced to different types of teaching for meeting every learners’ needs.
Covering key teaching concepts such as the communicative approach, you’ll learn when to use certain methods and hone your ability to evaluate different teaching ideas and materials.
Using this knowledge, you’ll learn how to plan and deliver a communicative lesson that is tailored to your learners.
Who is this course for?
- Recent graduates who want to become language teachers and have an interest in linguistic research
- EFL / ESL teachers who want to inform their teaching practice with research and pedagogical insights from linguistics
- Individuals who are interested in a “taster” of the University of Birmingham’s MA TESOL or Applied Linguistics Distance programme
This microcredential caters to both learners who have a general interest in language teaching and those who already have practical language teaching experience. The course is open to those who have already completed the TESOL: Insights into Language Teaching microcredential offered by the University of Birmingham, but this is not a pre-requisite. On successful completion of both microcredentials, you will be awarded 20 UK Credits at Postgraduate level from the University of Birmingham, which can be used as an alternative qualification for entry to our MA and PgCert TESOL distance learning programmes.
Learn alongside experts at The Department of English Language and Linguistics
With more than 20 years of experience running TESOL programmes globally, you’ll benefit from the expertise of specialists at The Department of English Language and Linguistics and the University of Birmingham.
This microcredential will help you develop your teaching and your knowledge of how language works. The short course is designed to keep teachers up-to-date with current thinking and research in this growing field.
What is a microcredential?
Microcredentials are designed to upskill you for work in rapidly-growing industries, without the time and cost commitment of a full degree. Your microcredential can stand alone as an independent credential, and some also offer academic credit to use towards a degree.
- Learn online with expert instructors: Complete online courses led by experts over 12-16 weeks with a dedicated group of professionals.
- Complete project-based assessments: Test your understanding with online tutor-marked assessments and exercises.
- Earn a professional credential: Finish your learning and pass your assessments to gain an accredited credential.
- Advance further in your career: Use your microcredential as evidence of your specialised skills and progress further in your industry.
Your learning, your rules
- Courses are split into weeks, activities, and steps, but you can complete them as quickly or slowly as you like
- Learn through a mix of bite-sized videos, long- and short-form articles, audio, and practical activities
- Stay motivated by using the Progress page to keep track of your step completion and assessment scores
Join a global classroom
- Experience the power of social learning, and get inspired by an international network of learners
- Share ideas with your peers and course educators on every step of the course
- Join the conversation by reading, @ing, liking, bookmarking, and replying to comments from others
Map your progress
- As you work through the course, use notifications and the Progress page to guide your learning
- Whenever you’re ready, mark each step as complete, you’re in control
- Complete 90% of course steps and all of the assessments to earn your certificate