Organisations across nearly all industries — from manufacturing and shipping to energy and technology — rely increasingly on experts in cyber security to defend their networks from cyber attacks, protecting their data and the data of their customers from cybercrime.
The Applied Cyber Security Bootcamp course challenges students to develop, practice, and master in-demand security and breach-prevention skills. Our curriculum equips students with the knowledge they need to join the cyber security industry, learn tools and technologies vetted by current practitioners, and prepare to seek professional certifications.
This programme is offered through the University of Birmingham, in partnership with edX.
Is the programme right for you?
Do you want to become a digital defender and learn how to keep data safe from prying eyes? Or, are you someone who is:
- Currently working in a technical field and want to expand your cyber knowledge, better understand how to keep data secure, and learn hands-on skills to apply on the job?
- Part of a company that has urgent cyber security needs to protect the confidentiality, availability, and integrity of data and software?
- Aware of the growing need for cyber security professionals and want to become a part of making the internet a safer space?
- A tech enthusiast looking to start your career in tech and get your foot in the door in the world of networking and security?
If you said yes to any of the above, our Applied Cyber Security Bootcamp could be the very opportunity you’ve been seeking.
What you will learn
By the end of this course you will be able to:
- Analyse packet traffic flowing over a network in order to better troubleshoot issues such as poor network performance
- Understand and implement network theory
- Perform administrative and security tasks to Windows and Linux Operating Systems
- Understand cyber security threats, actors, and methods
- Conduct vulnerability assessments using tools like Metasploit to profile an application for vulnerabilities, and then exploit those vulnerabilities
- Perform network, system, and web penetration testing activities
- Configure machines on a virtual network, deploy them to the cloud, and investigate cloud security risks
- Identify suspicious patterns of user behaviour to identify bots, intruders, and other malicious actors
- Write Bash scripts to automate security and operating systems tasks
- Gain insight into the important best practices around password selection and storage to crack into (mock!) user accounts
- Advise on cyber security best practices and risk management strategies
- Implement access control policies as an additional layer of security over an organisation’s private data
- Develop best practices in implementing security strategy policies across an organisation
What the course provides
The 24 week Applied Cyber Security Bootcamp has two components - an 8-week fundamentals course, followed by the main 16-week Skills Bootcamp in Applied Cyber Security. The structure, pacing, and time requirements are similar across all 24 weeks. Students successfully completing both components will receive a Certificate of Attendance and Professional Certificate in Applied Cyber Security from the University of Birmingham.
Powerful skills - Build applicable knowledge in areas like Windows and Linux administration, secure network design, cloud security, and ethical hacking and penetration.
Dedicated support - Benefit from a wide range of career support services, like CV and professional branding support, interview preparation, portfolio reviews, and coaching.
Recognisable credential - Receive a University of Birmingham Certificate, and demonstrate your new skills and showcase your achievement to future employers.
Collaborative learning environment - Work together with your peers to tackle complex projects using real-world data sets, and get hands-on training through experiential learning opportunities.