Introduction and Aims
This module focuses on theories relating to current trends in Business Communication including PR, Reputation Management, and Crisis Communications. Through small group working it develops practical communications skills to a “real-time” campaign allowing MBA students to experience the process of a campaign from strategic intent through to delivery in a media environment. Development of campaign themes, key messages, and message consistency provides students of this module with theoretical knowledge and skills set transferable into both pro-active and reactive communications with internal and external audiences.
Objectives and Learning Outcomes
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Understand and apply key theories in the fields of Public Relations, Reputation Management and Crisis Communications.
- Practically apply techniques in developing and delivering key messages as a part of identified campaign objectives.
- Deliver professional standard interviews in a media environment.
- Critically analyse Business Communications campaigns, using appropriate models.
- Individual assignment of 2,000 words (50%)
- Practical - Media Skills workshops (30%)
- 400 word press release & 500 word campaign analysis (20%)
- Adding: Reputation Management. F.Doorley & H.F. Garcia. Routledge (2010) for 2012-13
- Creativity in Public Relations (Public Relations in Practice) (Public Relations in Practice) (Public Relations in Practice) by Andy Green (Feb 2007) Kogan Page.
- The New Rules of Marketing & PR: How to use News Releases, Blogs, Podcasting, Viral Marketing and Online Media to Reach Buyers Directly. (2007). By David Meerman Scott
- International Public Relations. Negotiating Culture, Identity and Power. Patricia A. Curtin, & T.Kenn Gaither. Sage (2009)
- The Marketer's Guide to Public Relations in the 21st Century by Thomas L. Harris and Patricia T. Whalen (2006).
- Public Relations: Concepts, Practice and Critique. Jacqui L’Etang. Sage (2009)
- PR Week. – The Public Relations Industry magazine
- Effective Media Relations: How to Get Results (Public Relations in Practice) by David Wragg, Alison Theaker, and Michael Bland (2005)
- Public Relations: Strategies and Tactics: Study Edition by Dennis L. Wilcox and Glen T. Cameron (Paperback - 25 Oct 2006)