Strategy Module - Online MBA
Introduction and module objectives
The strategy module provides a general introduction of the basic concepts, principles, and major analytical approaches that are utilised in strategic management decision making.
Strategic Management has evolved as a discipline, from the rigid planning into a much more flexible process, more accurately described as strategic thinking. The global world of commerce is becoming more dynamic and complex, requiring managers to formulate and implement strategies based on consistent congruence between the firm and its environment. The module will focus initially on systematic external and internal analysis, and then cover formulation and implementation of corporate and business level strategies.
The module includes the discussion and analysis of organisational purpose, emphasising the influence of values and ethical issues on decision making. The majority of the module is devoted to formal strategic audit and the formulation and implementation of long run strategies by business organisations in the context of both their particular competitive environments and the ever-changing, uncertain general environment of business.
The module will anchor the field of strategy in its historical and academic roots. In so doing we will provide a foundation for critical assessment of theoretical and empirical approaches to Strategy.
On completion of the module, students should be able to:
- Critically assess the development of strategic thinking.
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of strategy formulation and how it relates to the entire organisation.
- Demonstrate a systematic understand and critically appraise the individual stages of a strategic audit.
- Identify and evaluate the ethical dimensions of strategic decision making.
- Demonstrate and evaluate an understanding of how strategy formulation encompasses the entire organisation.
- Conduct a full strategic audit of an organisation and its environment.
- Generate and critically evaluate a range of strategic options and justify recommendations.
- Understand the importance of interaction within the competitive environment in developing and implementing successful strategy.
- Deliver cogent and coherent verbal and written reports based upon analysis undertaken in groups.
Lectures and case analysis are interwoven with the aim of inculcating students in the application of strategic management analysis to case studies and real organisations.Business simulations may be used as a further vehicle for Strategic Analysis.