Bioscience for Graduates from Other Scientific Disciplines
Module Title - Bioscience for Graduates from Other Scientific Disciplines
Number of credits – 10
The module covers the basics of bioscience that are required by engineers to work at the engineering – life science interface.
- Molecules of life - Structure and function of lipids, carbohydrates, proteins and nucleic acids;
- Cellular structure - Structure and function of components within eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells;
- Cellular function and activity - Cellular thermodynamics & respiration;
- Gene expression: Transcription, translation, control of gene expression;
- DNA organisation & replication, cell cycle, meiosis, mitosis;
- Cellular signalling and control;
- Cellular organisation in to tissues and organs, introduction to Anatomy and physiology;
- Biological systems in engineering – prokaryotic and eukaryotic bioprocesses.