Process Engineering Fundamentals – Introductory module
Module Title - Process Engineering Fundamentals – Introductory module
Number of credits – 10
This module introduces students from a non-chemical engineering background to the fundamental aspects of process engineering. The ideas and skills developed during the module are essential for anyone planning to work in the process industries. The module starts with material and energy balances and then looks at fluid flow, heat and mass transfer and reactor design. The mathematical skills required for this and subsequent modules will be developed throughout the degree programme through self-study packages and tutorials.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Perform mass and energy balance calculations;
- Know about fluid flow in pipes, and apply to solve model problems;
- Predict rates of heat transfer to equipment;
- Understand mass transfer principles, and apply to solve model problems;
- Understand basic reactor design, and apply to solve model problems.
Teaching and assessment:
- Semester 1.
- Approximately 18 hours contact time.
- Coursework (20%) and 2hr written exam (80%).
- Reassessment: 100% examination.