Module Title - Advanced controls
Number of credits – 20
This module extends the idea of project controls to larger projects. The areas of scope, cost and schedule are still key, but techniques to cope with these topics on much larger scale are shown.
Some of the detailed topics considered are advanced cost estimation, earned value, progress tracking curves and advanced (quantitative) risk management.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Set project controls requirements through the lifecycle of a project;
- Demonstrate the ability to implement physical progress measurement techniques and earned value tracking systems; Develop robust cost estimates including required estimating allowances;
- Apply quantitative risk, schedule and cost estimation techniques to calculate schedule reserves and contingency;
- Devise a control strategy for a given project that balances the cost of control with the increased project risk;
- Develop a project schedule and understand resource implications. Assess supplied schedules for robustness and recommend improvement actions;
- Promote the implementation of a control strategy within a project environment.
Teaching and assessment:
Assessment: 100% Coursework