Introduction to Industrial Project Management
Module Title - Introduction to Industrial Project Management
Number of credits – 20
This module introduces the course and covers introductory material, paying particular focus to topics such as
(i) Project and Project types,
(ii) Business Case and Benefits Management,
(iii) Project Selection,
(iv) Project lifecycle,
(v) Company strategy,
(vii) Implementation principles,
(viii) Teams and their role in project organisation.
By the end of the module you will be able to
- Define a project and describe challenges of various project types and structures.
- Promote the importance of projects as a way of achieving company objectives and describe the roles of portfolio and programme management.
- Analyse the pros and cons of a business case and promote the use of benefits management to ensure delivery.
- Compare business cases using quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Reflect on importance of people on projects and demonstrate understanding of influence of own behaviour on project teams.
- Contrast various project management approaches and promote the combined approach set out in the course.
- Demonstrate use of a project management maturity model to evaluate a project scenario.
- Describe what a plan is, what the process of planning is and reflect on the benefits.
- Define common project roles and be able to discuss the importance of these roles in the project lifecycle.
- Identify stakeholders in project organization and promote their engagement with project.
- Describe project implementation principles including safety, team working and project closure.
- Describe importance of various aspects of behaviour in a project environment and describe impact of project manager behaviour in setting project culture.
- Demonstrate use of innovative problem solving both as individual and as part of a team.
- Design a project team organisation based on personality profile model, appreciate the process of team development.
Teaching and assessment:
Assessment: 100% Coursework (Assessed tutorial questions 40% - Coursework assignment 60%)