Module Title - Research Skills
Number of credits – 10
The material covered falls into two areas. Information skills: retrieving and recording bibliographic information from manual and computerised sources. Transferable skills: intellectual property rights; time management; report writing; oral presentation.
The aims of this module are to:
- provide you with the basis of transferable knowledge and skills necessary for a successful research-oriented career in industry or academia, with a particular orientation to computing-based disciplines
On successful completion of this module, you should be able to:
- understand modes of communication in the computing sciences
- appreciate the structure of the literature of the computing sciences in general and a chosen research field in particular
- methodically search the literature to investigate a research topic
- make effective presentations both orally and in writing
Teaching and assessment:
Sessional: Continuous assessment (100%)
Supplementary (where allowed): Repeat only.
The normal continuous assessment is based on up to three practical tasks, including at least one oral presentation and one written report.
Contact hours - 22