This module is designed specifically for distance learning to provide an update of the techniques available in contemporary dental practice for the assessment and management of patients with periodontitis, diseases of the oral cavity and systemic diseases of relevance to dentistry and to develop advanced assessment skills when managing patients requiring oral surgical procedures.
Students will evaluate and reflect on evidence from the latest literature, evaluate the current research trends and understand how to apply this knowledge to specific clinical situations.
20 Masters level credits
- 20% Creation and submission of patient information literature (2 leaflets) relevant to prevention and management of gingivitis and chronic periodontitis
- 40% Creation and submission of a structured clinical case report for a patient whose periodontal disease you have managed
- 10% Creation and submission of professional information document (for peers) with regard to oral cancer screening
- 10% Creation and submission of a referral letter (& photographic report where relevant) of oral mucosal lesion/condition
- 20% Creation and submission of a structured oral surgery assessment protocol for impacted third molars
Entry requirements (if required)
Dental degree and to be working actively in dental practice.
How to register/apply
University of Birmingham website
Coronavirus (COVID-19) latest updates and FAQs for future students and offer-holdersVisit our FAQs
Our Standard Requirements