Introduction and module objectives:
The main aim of this module is to provide a rigorous grounding in the theory and practice of corporate finance at an advanced level, and a thorough synthesis of the most important current research in corporate finance. The emphasis is on the applications of the principles to long-term strategic decision making. Both normative and positive aspects of the theory are examined, together with supporting descriptive and empirical evidence.
By the end of the module students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a broad and in-depth knowledge of modern advanced finance theory;
- Explore, understand and appraise the complexity of a firm’ s capital structure;
- Interpret and evaluate the sophisticated financial decisions as signals of a firm’s quality;
- Evaluate and synthesise the advanced literature of corporate finance.
Method of assessment:
- One hour class test (20%)
- Two hour examination (80%)