Dyslexia, Language and Literacies in Development
Module Code: 29264
Value: 20 credits
This module will engage students in understanding and critically appraising current literature in language and literacy skills/ practices concerning:
- typical development through childhood, adolescence and young adulthood,
- their inter-relationship and relationship with the main components of development, in the context of the whole child/person how these relate to dyslexic type/literacy difficulties;
- developmental difficulties in these specific areas and in relation to other aspects of development;
- the characteristics of literacy difficulties, dyslexia and related specific learning difficulties in development;
- its relevance for teaching and learning practices;
- and its relevance in current social contexts, e.g. monolingual and multilingual and FL/SL/AL settings in families and schools; digital literacy skills and practices.
Key questions concerning continuity, change, and individual differences will be regularly re-visited from different perspectives.
A written assignment of 4,000 words
Dr Maria Reraki