Digital Communications and Signal processing
Module Title - Digital Communications and Signal processing
Number of credits – 20
In the first part of module, you will become familiar with analysis and synthesis of digital communication systems by means of the statistical theory that is the core of any information exchange and specifically digital data. You should gain an understanding of the fundamental principles of communication that will be used in all communication related courses.
The second part of the module covers the principles of optimal signal detection and processing to minimize the Bit Error Rates (BER). It will be considered dependence of BER and Signal Noise Ratio (SNR) for different kind of modulations used in modern systems.
The third part will be an introduction in the technique of digital signal processing by means of digital filters, Fourier Transform and signal processing in frequency domain.
All mentioned above is the subject of assignment where the students will modell a communication systems using Matlab software.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Apply statistical signal processing methods and classical statistical theory to communication system analysis
- Analyse a communication system performance for a given system configuration and parameters.
- Select and analyse proper technique for the signal processing in time and frequency domains.
- modell communication system and subsystems using Matlab and be familiar with the basic digital filtering algorithms.
Teaching and assessment:
- Semester 1
- 2 hour exam paper (3 questions from 4) – 50%
- Matlab system simulation assignmen t – 50%.