Module Title - Fundamentals: Databases
Number of credits – 10
The module will explore some of the fundamentals of databases. Topics will include: relational theory, relational algebra, query languages, data design. The necessary mathematical background will be developed alongside its application in databases. Students will be introduced to an existing database system. The module is particularly suitable for MSc students who have little previous background in Computer Science.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Use SQL to create, modify and query databases.
- Analyse a real-world scenario and perform a conceptual database design for it.
- Take a conceptual data design model and translate it into the relational model.
- Use an existing database system.
- Apply relational algebra and the mathematical theory of relations to describe databases, queries, and consistency conditions.
Teaching and assessment: