Intelligent Data Analysis (Extended)
Module Title - Intelligent Data Analysis (Extended)
Number of credits – 10
The module introduces a range of state-of-the-art techniques in the fields of statistical pattern analysis and data mining. The 'information revolution' has generated large amounts of data, but valuable information is often hidden and hence unusable.
Pattern analysis and data mining techniques seek to unveil hidden patterns in the data that can help us to refine web search, construct more robust spam filters, or uncover principal trends in the evolution of a variety of stock indexes.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Explain principles and algorithms for dimensionality reduction and clustering of vectorial data;
- Explain principles and techniques for mining textual data;
- Demonstrate understanding of the principles of efficient web-mining algorithms;
- Demonstrate understanding of broader issues of learning and generalisation in pattern analysis and data mining systems.
Teaching and assessment:
- Assessment: 20% Continuous Assessment , 80% Examination.
- Semester 2.
- Teaching: 23 hours of lectures.