Module Title - Research Skills
Number of credits - 20
The aim of this independent learning module is to develop student skills in research and investigation, report writing, group work and presentation. A short series of lectures will introduce students to relevant research and library search techniques and discuss report writing and presentations skills.
The rest of the module consists of independent research into an appropriate mathematical topic. Students will have a small number of group meetings with a supervisor, during which they will discuss their own and other students' work.
Students will produce a report on their investigations and give an oral presentation. Your research skills project will be developed into your MSc dissertation.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- undertake and report on literature searches;
- the student should also be able to present high level mathematics or statistics orally;
- constructively comment on the work of others;
- plan and write a report on a mathematical topic;
- give an oral presentation.
Teaching and assessment:
Project - Coursework
Continuous Assessment : Coursework
Oral : Coursework
- Semester 1 and 2.