Research and Professional Skills module details
Module Title - Research and Professional Skills
Number of credits – 10
The aim of the module is to provide students with training in mechanical engineering research methods (generic as well as specific to their dissertation research) and a set of professional skills that prepare them for a professional career.
Research skills: Information search and retrieval techniques, sources and management of information, research methods, experimentation such as design of experiments (Factorial, Taguchi, Response Surface), statistical analysis (Analysis of Variance ANOVA) and use of Minitab; project management skills such project management, use of MS project, critical path analysis and risk analysis and four box tracking charts.
Professional skills: Technical report writing and creating presentations. Plagiarism. Engineering ethics, intellectual property, and health and safety.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding and knowledge of concepts from a range of areas including some outside engineering, and the ability to apply them effectively in engineering projects.
- Demonstrate an awareness of developing technologies related to mechanical engineering.
- Extract and critically analyse data pertinent to an unfamiliar problem, and apply its solution using computer based engineering tools when appropriate
- Demonstrate a wide knowledge and comprehensive understanding of design processes and methodologies and the ability to apply and adapt them in unfamiliar situations.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive awareness of the framework of relevant legal requirements governing engineering activities, including personnel, health, safety, and risk (including environmental risk) issues
- Understand the need for a high level of professional and ethical conduct in engineering.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of current practice and its limitations and some appreciation of likely new developments.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of the use of technical literature and other information sources and critically analyse the material.
- Demonstrate a comprehensive awareness of nature of intellectual property and contractual issues. Understand and apply appropriate codes of practice and industry standards
- Demonstrate an awareness of quality issues
Teaching and assessment:
100% continuous assessment, comprising: Project Report based on in-depth research into a set subject (70%) and presentation (30%)
Contact hours: 20