Introduction to Materials module details
Module Title - Introduction to Materials
Number of credits – 10
The module is intended to introduce Materials Science to students with a first degree in physical science, chemistry, biology or engineering, (other than Materials).
It will introduce the relationship between processing, microstructure and properties for the main classes of materials: metals, polymers, ceramics and composites.
The understanding of material microstructures will be underpinned by knowledge of crystal structures and phase diagrams. The relationship between material microstructures and common physical and mechanical properties of materials will be introduced.
By the end of the module the student will be able to:
- Research into and explain fundamental concepts associated with materials.
- Use a range of phase diagrams to understand the development of material structures
- Recognise the relationship between the microstructure and properties of ceramics, polymers, metals and composites.
- Identify and explain the development of common material microstructures in relation to materials processing.
- Describe and understand the purpose of tensile, hardness, creep, fatigue and impact testing of materials.
Contact time - 100 hours.