Policy, Regulation and Management
Module Title - Policy, Regulation and Management
Number of credits – 20
This module is designed to equip students with knowledge and understanding of the policy and regulation framework for decommissioning and waste management and how this impacts on programme management in the nuclear sector. The module will focus predominantly UK government policy and regulatory guidance and regulatory framework but will also review international practice and case studies.
The module syllabus will include: role of public engagement and accountability in the regulation framework; principles of programme management associated with proposals for waste disposal and decommissioning/remediation; project appraisal and appraisal methods; project financing. Case studies and site visits will be used throughout the module to demonstrate good (or bad) practice and issues arising from implementation of legislation and policy.
By the end of the module you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of:
- socio-political impacts of radioactive waste and nuclear waste management and decommissioning; key aspects of legislation and policy;
- role of public engagement and accountability in the policy and regulation framework;
- principles of project management, including project appraisal and financing; principles of risk assessment, hazard identification and reduction in project planning;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of project management to specific projects;
- Apply knowledge and understanding of legal and regulatory requirements to specific projects/case studies;
- Demonstrate: Critical thinking, time management, Commercial/business awareness, Numeracy, ICT.
Teaching and Assessment