Islamic Development Bank - International PhD Scholarship Programme
- Level of study
- Doctoral research, Postgraduate research masters, Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences
- Afghanistan, Albania, Algeria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Benin, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Comoros, Cote d'Ivoire, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Gambia, The, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Nigeria, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Yemen
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closes 20/02/2020
The Islamic Development Bank (IDB) is a multilateral financial development institution based in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. IDB was established with the purpose of fostering economic development and social progress in its member countries, in accordance with the principles of Shariah i.e. Islamic law. The IDB is composed of 56 member countries across Asia, Africa, Europe and Latin America.
The Islamic Development Bank (IDB) Scholarship Programmes are an important tool in the development initiatives led by the IsDB since 1983 to foster technology and knowledge sharing among member countries and Muslim communities in non-member countries.
The Programmes are designed to attract talented male and female students and build the right competence required to empower communities with a special focus on “Sustainability Science” in line with the approved fields to support the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Value of Award
The scholarship covers the following benefits and entitlements:
- Full tuition fees.
- Living allowance on single-status basis.
- Health Insurance.
- Round trip air-tickets to and from place of study.
- Conference Participation allowance
- Scientific Paper preparation allowance.
- Computer allowance (for Ph.D. only).
- Family allowance (for Ph.D. only).
The applicant must:
- Be a citizen of an IDB member country, and a permanent employee of an academic institution or a research centre of his/her country.
- Secure admission at the University of Birmingham, using the UoB standard entry procedures.
- Be 35 years of age or younger.
- Be nominated and sponsored by their institutions and considered suitable and appropriate by the Offices of the IDB Governors of their countries in terms of the developmental and scientific needs of their countries.
- Have an academic background in an area of research related to science/technology, as listed on the ISD scholarship programme website.
- Have a proposed research area that is directly relevant to the development priorities of his/her country, demonstrated by a research proposal endorsed by the University of Birmingham.
- Have above average ("Very Good") in academic standing.
- Have work and/or research experience of not less than two years, with a strong history of developing publications and research in a relevant research area.
How to Apply
For full details of the application process, please access the Islamic Development Bank Scholarship Portal.