The Annemarie Schimmel Scholarship
- Level of study
- Postgraduate research masters, Postgraduate taught masters
- Subject area
- Arts and Law, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Medical and Dental Sciences, Social Sciences
- Type of Award
- Deadline for applying
- Closed 07/06/2019 (Note: competition closed for this year)
The Scholarship was established in honour of Professor Annemarie Schimmel to commemorate her great contribution to culture and poetry in Pakistan and her role as a dedicated woman scholar. It offers the opportunity for postgraduate study in the United Kingdom to a woman who is committed to make a genuine contribution to her chosen field on her return to Pakistan.
Preference will be given to traditional humanities or sciences and also to humanitarian fields, such as public health, special education and ancillary medical fields, for example, physiotherapy and radiography. Studies in economic development, social sciences and modular courses in various disciplines will also be considered. Subjects excluded are journalism, business, management, IT, media, and gender/women’s studies. Candidates wishing to pursue higher learning in areas related to Annemarie Schimmel’s scholarship on Islam are encouraged to apply. The course of study can be purely academic or could involve practical training.
The scholarship is awarded for one academic year for a Master’s degree at recognized institutions of higher education in the UK. Doctoral candidates are not eligible.
Value of Award
Award covers the full cost of tuition and basic living expenses.
- The Schimmel scholars will be chosen for their ability and commitment without discrimination as to religion, caste or creed. Candidates must have either a professional degree or they should have completed sixteen years of education in a relevant discipline.
- They must be citizens of Pakistan and have a declared intention to return and pursue a career in Pakistan. Those having a minimum two year professional work experience will be given preference.
- There is no restriction on age, but preference will be given to candidates between the ages of 25 and 40. A genuine need for financial assistance is an essential condition of the scholarship. The candidates must supply adequate evidence that they would not be able to study abroad without financial assistance.
- Candidates must have cleared their IELTS exam before appearing for the final interview held in November/December of the current year.
How to Apply
The application form, along with the full details of the application process, can be found on the Annemarie Schimmel Scholarship website.