Disability and dyslexia support

 The University of Birmingham strives to be an inclusive learning community. Whatever your disability, mental health  or learning support needs, we’re here to help make sure you that you can access appropriate support to take advantage of the student university experience.

A disabled person as defined by law is someone who has a physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on his or her ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities. This may include students with a:

  • Specific learning difficulty such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or dyscalculia
  • Mental health condition
  • Sensory Impairment
  • Mobility impairment
  • Long term health condition
  • Other unseen condition

Further Information.  

Why should I tell the University I have a disability?

We want to make sure that all our students get the most from university life. By telling tell us about your disability as early as possible, we can identify any support that you might need, including any financial support you may be entitled to. 

The ideal is to tell us about it on your UCAS application form so we can discuss your support needs with you before you arrive. You could also be eligible for the Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) which can help to pay for a support worker or other types of assistance.

Students can disclose a disability directly to students support services at any time prior to or during your studies by registering with Disability, Mental Health and Learning Support services.

Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Postgraduate students from England or Wales, may still be eligible for a Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) for help with costs you may incur as a direct result of your disability while attending your course. 

If you received DSAs during your undergraduate course and begin postgraduate study straight after you graduate, your needs may not have changed.  In this case, you may not need a new needs assessment. However, you should still inform your funding provider that you intend to start a new postgraduate course. 

Research Council funded students may also be able to receive DSA. To access this students should contact Disability Services, who will provide you with the relevant forms and can give you further advice about eligibility. 

Further information and a DSA application form are available from the GOV.UK website 

Contact the Disability and Learning Support Service

General enquiries

T: +44 (0)121 414 5130
E: disability@bham.ac.uk
Disability and Learning Support Service, Aston Webb Student Hub
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, B15 2TT

Enquiries specific to learning difficulties

T: +44 (0)121 414 5130
E: learning-support@contacts.bham.ac.uk
Disability and Learning Support Service, Aston Webb Student Hub
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, B15 2TT

Enquiries specific to mental health difficulties

T: +44 (0)121 414 5130
E: mentalhealth@contacts.bham.ac.uk
Mental Health Advisory Service, Aston Webb Student Hub,
University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, B15 2TT

Confidentiality and Data Protection

Details of your disability will be kept confidential except where you have given written consent permitting us to disclose it. This consent will remain in force during your registration at the University unless you notify the University otherwise. All information supplied regarding your disability will be stored electronically and/or as paper records and will be processed in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. This information will be retained by the University after your registration has ceased in accordance with the University’s records management procedures, and then destroyed in a secure manner.