Workshop on the Applications of Pattern Grammar
- University of Birmingham campus
- Wednesday 19 July (09:00) - Friday 21 July 2017 (17:03)
This 2½ day Workshop is designed to introduce teachers, computational linguists, and lexicographers to the concept of ‘Pattern Grammar’ (Hunston and Francis 1999) and to develop ideas about how PG might be used in a variety of fields.
Places on the Workshop are limited to 30, to allow full participation. Priority will be given to professionals involved in language teaching, text annotation, lexicography and translation. We plan to bring together an international group of committed individuals who will work together on issues of shared interest.
The Workshop schedule:
Wednesday 19 July 2017
- 2:30pm. Registration and welcome
- 3:30pm to 5:00pm. Introduction to Pattern Grammar
Thursday 20 July 2017
- 9:30am to 1:00pm. Pattern Grammar in Lexicography
- 2:00pm to 5:00pm. Pattern Grammar in Language Teaching
Friday 21 July 2017
- 9:30am to 1:00pm. Pattern Grammar and Semantic Annotation
- 2:00pm to 3:00pm. Pattern Grammar and language theory
- 3:30pm to 4:30pm. Group presentations
Note: Sessions will include breaks for tea/coffee, and lunch will be provided on Thursday and Friday.
The deadline for applying to the workshop is 20 March 2017. Successful applicants will be notified by 30 March 2017. The application form is attached and should be returned to: Susan Hunston, Department of English Language and Applied Linguistics, University of Birmingham (firstname.lastname@example.org). Successful applicants will be requested to register by 30 April 2017.
The fee for the workshop is £60 per person, payable on registration. This includes lunches and refreshments.
Unfortunately we are not able to book University accommodation for the workshop, but there are a large number of hotels etc within easy reach of the university that can be booked on-line.