CLiC Dickens Day
- B3 3BS, Birmingham, Margaret Street, The Birmingham and Midland Institute
- Lectures Talks and Workshops, Research
On 1 December we will celebrate the successful conclusion of the CLiC Dickens project with a half-day of talks and workshop activities. The workshop will illustrate exercises that can be used in the English classroom. We will also showcase the new CLiC corpora that include more A-Level and GCSE texts as well as a children's literature corpus. Participants of the CLiC Dickens Day will receive a free copy of the CLiC Activity Book.
To conclude the CLiC Dickens Day there will be a drinks reception followed by a dramatic reading of the Sikes and Nancy scene from Oliver Twist.
The CLiC Dickens Day is free, but it is essential that you register via Eventbrite, as places are limited.
Programme (subject to changes)
- 13.30 – 13.45: Welcome
- 13.45 – 14.15: Discourse presentation – Developing a diachronic perspective
- 14.15 – 15.15: CLiC Dickens – New techniques for exploring fiction in research and teaching
- 15.15 – 15.30: Coffee
- 15.30 – 16.30: Panel – Exploring fiction in language research
- 16.30 – 16.45: Coffee
- 16.45 – 17.45: Panel – Fiction in the English classroom
- 18.00 – 19.30: Evening programme with drinks reception and dramatic reading (please register separately for the evening)