- Electrically small antennas: beating conventional size, gain and bandwidth limits using active anti-Foster circuits and multiple feeds.
- Reconfigurable antennas for multiband and cognitive radios.
- Active integrated antennas. Merging circuit functions into antennas.
- High efficiency power amplifiers and novel linearization techniques.
Reconfigurable Vivaldi Antenna: surface current plot
Body centric communications
- Body worn antennas
- Body area network channel characterisation and modelling
- Body area networks at microwave and mm wave bands
Body-centric wireless networks: Testing the in-situ performance of body-worn antennas designed to launch a surface wave.
- Game theoretic medium access control protocols
- Adaptive routing protocols
- Congestion phase transitions in large scale Internet networks
- Railway and vehicular wireless networks (ad hoc, sensor,etc.)
Resilient recursive routing: An adaptive protocol (purple) outperforms a conventional routing protocol (blue) and an ad hoc routing protocol (green) in a highly volatile tactical wireless mesh network.
Acoustic, sonar and electromagnetic sensors
- Detection and classification of submerged aquatic vegetation using target-phase
- Underwater communication, networks, sonar signal processing and calibration.
- Detection, location and assessment of buried pipes, cables,tree-roots and assets using low-frequency electromagnetics
- Non-contact assessment of the condition of road surfaces
- Underground surveying via gravity measurements using quantum technology
Underground surveying cart
Optical and THz communication
- Optical code division multiple access
- Optical Quantum Well Laser Amplifiers
- Vital Signs Monitoring at mm-wave and Terahertz frequencies
- Terahertz Antennas and Filters for Wireless Communications
An UWB Single feed flower Vivaldi antenna
- Wade aid
- Speed and trajectory estimation
- Terrain recognition
- Imaging in front of vehicles
Experimental sensors for surface recognition
Radar and sensors networks
- Forward scatter radar for ground and maritime applications
- Radio-holographic imaging
- FSR phenomenology
- Sea and ground clutter analysis
Radio-holographic image reconstruction
Advanced Radar Technologies
- Active and Passive BSAR imaging
- Multi-static/MIMO radar
- Passive radar
- Biologically inspired radar
Earth image in the light of GPS
THz systems and technology
- THz EMW propagation and scattering study
- Low THz missile seekers
- Automotive THz radars
- Low THz systems for helicopters landing
- Radar for real time sea waves profiling
Experimental THz radar for automotive applications
Our research is funded both by governmental organisations, such as the EPSRC, EU, ESA and British Council, as well as typically over one hundred industrial collaborators, such as Jaguar Land Rover, BAE Systems, SELEX UK,Thales (UK and France), MBDA (UK and France), etc. We have an extensive network of academic collaborations within the university (Physics, Civil Engineering,etc.), in the UK (UCL, QMUL, Bath, Durham, Southampton, Newcastle, Sheffield,Kent, etc.) and abroad (Ohio State University, University of Rome, University of Pisa, Fraunhofer Institute, the University of Auckland, etc.)