The Sci-Phy Seminar Series is currently on summer hiatus. Please check back here soon as new seminars will be added in due course.
For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Title: Tackling twist in DNA minicircles
Speaker: Dr Alice Pyne, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Sheffield
Date: Thursday 17 June 2021 Time: 13:00, via Zoom
- Title: Tissue engineering strategies to generate functional 3D neuronal networks
Speaker: Dr Eric Hill, School of Life & Health, Aston University
Date: Thursday 3 June 2021 Time: 13:00, via Zoom
- Title: Causal bootstrapping: plug-in interventional machine learning
Speaker: Dr Max Little, School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham
Date: Thursday 6 May 2021 Time: 13:00, via Zoom
- Title: The role of telomerase in ageing, senescence and immunity across tissues using the zebrafish as a model
Speaker: Dr Catarina M Henriques, Dept of Oncology & Metabolism, University of Sheffield
Date: Thursday 22 April 2021 Time: 13:00, via Zoom
- Title: Microcavity supported lipid bilayers: versatile microfluidic models for biophysical studies of membrane proteins and lipids
Speaker: Professor Tia Keyes, School of Chemical Sciences, Dublin City University
Date: Thursday 25 March 2021 Time: 13:00, via Zoom
- Title: Current understanding of biological identity at the nanoscale and prospects for future therapeutic advances
Speaker: Professor Kenneth A. Dawson, School of Chemistry, University College Dublin
Date: Thursday 11 March 2021, Time 13:00, via Zoom
- Title: From lab to clinic: new chemistry for the early detection of cancer
Speaker: Dr Robert Neely, School of Chemistry, University of Birmingham
Date: Thursday 25 February 2021, Time: 13:00, via Zoom
- Title: From fast cars to breathing aids: the UCL Ventura non-invasive ventilator for COVID-19
Speaker: Professor Rebecca Shipley, Mechanical Engineering, University College London
Date: Thursday 4 February 2021, Time: 13:00, via Zoom
- Title: Understanding bone to develop novel therapeutic strategies
Speaker: Professor Liam Grover
Date: Thursday 13 February 2020, Time: 13:00, Venue: Learning Centre, UG09
- Title: Combining Nanoscience with Metallo-supramolecular recognition of DNA and RNA to achieve bio-activity
Speaker: Professor Mike Hannon
Date: Thursday 30 January 2020, Time: 13:00, Venue: Learning Centre, UG05
- Title: Adventures with four-stranded DNA
Speaker: Dr Zoë A. E. Waller
Date: Thursday 16 January 2020, Time: 13:00, Venue: Mech Eng G26
- Title: Deep Learning : Applications to MR Imaging
Speaker: Dr Jinming Duan
Date: Thursday 19 December 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: Mech Eng G36
- Title: Receptor nanodmains and beyond : lessons from single-molecule microscopy
Speaker: Prof. Davide Calebiro
- Title: Mathematical modelling of sperm motility and other healthcare problems
Speaker: Prof. Dave Smith
Date: Thursday 21 November 2019, Time : 13:00, Venue : MechEng G36
- Title: In Silico in vitro and in vivo models for nerve tissue engineering
Speaker: Dr Rebecca Shipley
Date: Thursday 7 November 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue : Mech Eng G36
- Title: Laser and ultrasound co-analyser of thyroid nodules - making a device for thyroid cancer screening
Speaker: Dr Stanislaw Wojtkoewicz
Date: Thursday 19 September 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue : Learning Centre UG09
- Title: Non-invasive brain stimulation in humans
Speaker: Dr Joseph Galea
Date: Thursday 4 July 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: Learning Centre UG05
- Title: From UoB To MoD
Speaker: Dr Lois Bright
Date: Thursday 20 June 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: Chemical Engineering G35
- Title: A Cognitive Architecture for Knowledge Representation, Reasoning and Interactive Learning in Robotics
Speaker: Dr Mohan Sridharan
Date: Thursday 6 June 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: LC-UG09
- Title: Augmenting the vision of the endoscopist: seeing early cancer in a new light
Speaker: Dr Sarah Bohndiek
Date: Thursday 9 May 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: LC-UG07
- Title: Improving Orthopaedic Interventions
Speaker: Dr Sophie Williams
Date: Thursday 11 April 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: LC-UG07
- Title: Mixing Water, Transducing Energy, Shaping Membranes: Far from Equilibrium Biological Interfaces
Speaker: Prof Atul Parikh
Date: Thursday 21 March 2019, Time: 15:00, Biosciences 301
- Title: Cleaning with Bubbles: Using Acoutistic Cavitation in Dentistry
Speaker: Dr Nina Vyas
Date: Thursday 14 March 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: LC-UG07
- Title: Myths, Mysteries and Science of Edible Bird's Nest
Speaker: Professor Lee Soo Ying
Date: Tuesday 5th March 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: LC-UG09
- Title: Polymer Bionics for Bridging the Device Interface
Speaker: Dr Rylie Green
Date: Thursday 28 February 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: LC-UG07
- Title: Scale-up and Sustainability for Large and Small Microfluidic Laboratories
Speaker: Dr Maiwenn Kersaudy-Kerhoas
Date: Thursday 14 February 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: LC-UG07
- Title: Probing Biological Nano-structure with Topological Data Analysis and Single Mole
Speaker: Dr Jeremy Pike
Date: Thursday 31 January 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: LC-UG07
- Title: Theranoastic Nano Toolbox: See it & Treat it
Speaker: Dr Hirak Patra
Date: Thursday 24 January 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: LC-UG07
- Title: Electrically Stimulating Advancements in Medicine
Speaker: Dr Frankie Rawson
Date: Thursday 17 January 2019, Time: 13:00, Venue: LC-UG07
- Strategies for bedside mapping of brain function with high-density diffuse optical tomography
Speaker: Professor Adam Eggebrecht
Date: Thursday 15 March, 2018, 13:00
- Biomedical materials and their multiscale characterisation
Speaker: Gowsihan Poologasundarampillai
Date: Thursday 11 January 2018, 13:00
- Photonic Crystal Enhanced Microscopy: A New Tool for Cell-Surface Quantitative Imaging and Digital Resolution Biomolecular Diagnostics
Speaker: Prof Brian Cunningham
Date: 29 November 2017 - 14:00 Venue: Mechanical and Civil Engineering G33
- Proton Computed Tomography, Why, What, How?
Speaker: Dr Tony Price, University of Birmingham
Date: 23 November 2017 - 13:00 Venue: Mechanical and Civil Engineering G33
- Using Physics to Understand Cancer
Speaker: Dr Raf Van De Plas
Date: 14 November 2017 - 10:00 Venue: Chem Eng 124
- Using Physics to Understand Cancer
Speaker: Dr Daniel Frankel, University of Newcastle
Date: Thursday 1 June 2017 - 13:00 Venue: Bio-E102
- Can We Engineer Biology
Speaker: Dr Daniele Vigolo, University of Birmingham
Date: Thursday 18 May 2017 - 13:00 Venue: Bio-301
- Unlocking Gene Expression and Repair by Tracking Single Molecules in Vivo
Speaker: Professor Achillefs Kapanidis, University of Oxford
Date: Thursday 27 April 2017 - 13:00 Venue: Bio-E102
- The Discovery & Development of Highly Selective β1-Adrenoceptor Antagonists: A Safer Treatment for Patients with Concomitant Cardiovascular & Respiratory Disease?
Speaker: Professor Barrie Kellam, University of Nottingham
Date: Thursday 30 March 2017 - 13:00 Venue: LC-LG14
- Designing biomaterials to mimic the function of antifreeze proteins for cell cryopreservation
Speaker: Professor Matthew Gibson, University of Warwick
Date: Thursday 9 March 2017 - 13:00 Venue: Mech Eng G29
- Adventures in medicinal chemistry
Speaker: Professor Mark Searcey, University of East Anglia
Date: Friday 17 February 2017 - 13:00 Venue: Learning Centre LG14
- Modeling brain circuitry over a wide range of scales
Speaker: Professor Pascal Fua, Ecole Polytechnique, Paris.
Date: Thursday 12 January 2017 - 13:00 Venue: Mech Eng G29
- Echoing the heart: echocardiography image analysis
Speaker: Dr Kashif Rajpoot, The University of Birmingham
Date: Thursday 8 December 2016 - 13:00 Venue: Poynting S06
- Multiscale modelling of the musculoskeletal system
Speaker: Professor Damien Lacroix, The University of Sheffield
Date: Thursday 24 Novermber 2016 - 13:00 Venue: Poynting S06
- Can we use imaging and mathematical modelling to predict stroke outcome
Speaker: Professor Stephen Payne, The University of Oxford
Date: Thursday 17 Novermber 2016 - 13:00 Venue: Poynting S06
- Imaging and modelling of sperm motility and other biofluiddynamic systems
Speaker: Dr David Smith, The University of Birmingham
Date: Thursday 10 Novermber 2016 - 13:00 Venue: Poynting S06
- Atmospheric pressure plasmas – from electrically triggered sparks to new healthcare therapies
Speaker: Dr James Walsh, The University of Liverpool
Date: Thursday 20 October 2016 - 13:00 Venue: Poynting S06
- A computational multiscale multiphysics framework for the study of traumatic brain injury
Speaker: Professer Antoine Jerusalem, The University of Oxford
Date: Thursday 6 October 2016 - 13:00 Venue: Poynting S06
- Palladium-Activated Prodrug Therapy: An Unorthodox Exploitation of the Bioorthogonal Paradigm.
Speaker: Dr Asier Unciti-Broceta, The University of Edinburgh
Date: Thursday 9 June 2016 - 13:00 - Biosciences E102
- Patient specific engineering models to support clinical practice.
Speaker: Dr Silvia Schievano, University College London
Date: Thursday 26 May 2016 - 13:00 - Biosciences E102
- Healthcare Interventions via Machine Learning.
Speaker: Dr David Clifton, University of Oxford
Date: Thursday 12 May 2016 - 13:00 - Biosciences E102
- 3D Printing in Medicine - Research and Applications.
Speaker: Professor Russell Harris, Leeds University
Date: Thursday 21 April 2016 - 13:00 - Biosciences E102
- Optical Biosensors.
Speaker: Dr Ruchi Gupta, University of Hull
Date: Thursday 7 April 2016 - 13:00 - Biosciences E102
- Exploiting the Chemistry of Musculoskeletal Healing and Disease: Towards Better and Safer Therapies.
Speaker: Dr Richard Williams, The University of Birmingham
Date: Thursday 10 March 2016 - 13:00 - Haworth 203
- Nanoenabled Medicine Development.
Speaker: Professor Ljeoma F Uchegbu, University College London
Date: Thursday 3 March 2016 - 13:00 - Chem Eng 124
- Two Adventures in Chemical Biology - Palladium Mediated Cellular Chemistry and in vivo Optical Medical Imaging.
Speaker: Professor Mark Bradley, The University of Edinburgh
Date: Thursday 4 February 2016 - 13:00 - Biosciences E102
- Shaken and stirred: enhancing, triggering and monitoring drug delivery by ultrasound.
Speaker: Professor Constantin Coussios, Oxford University
Date: Thursday 14 January 2016 - 13:00 - Biosciences E102
- Beyond Systems Biology; from cell membranes to
Speaker: Professor Paul O'Shea, The University of Nottingham
Date: Thursday 7 January 2016 - 13:00 - Mech Eng G33
- Adressing manufactoring challenges for regenerative medicines.
Speaker: Dr Ivan Wall, University College London
Date: Monday 14 December 2015 - 14:00 - Learning Centre UG05
- Microfluids and Microbubbles: from Diagnostics to Therapeutic Delivery.
Speaker: Professor Steven Evans, The University of Leeds
Date: Thursday 10 December 2015 - 13:00 - Nuffield G17
- Biomaterial and their optimisation for the treatment of vision loss.
Speaker: Professor Rachel Williams, The University of Liverpool
Date: Thursday 12 November 2015 - 13:00 - Biosciences 301
- Raman micro-spectroscopy for biomedical applications:from nanoscale bio materials to label free imaging of cells. and tissue.
Speaker: Professor Ioan Notingher, The University of Nottingham
Date: Thursday 29 October 2015 - 13:00 - Mech Eng G29
- ‘Of Mice and Men’ in Nanomedicine: Transforming Old and New Nanomaterials into Functional Tools for Medicine.
Speaker: Professor Kostas Kostarelos, The University of Manchester
Date: Thursday 22 October 2015 - 13:00 - Mech Eng G29
- Improving stem cell therapy with smart surfaces, scaffolds and microbioreactor arrays.
Speaker: Professor Justin Cooper-White, The University of Queensland
Date: Thursday 15 October 2015 - 10:00 - Biosciences NG08
- Modern medical thermometry and measurements for wound management.
Speaker: Professor Graham Machin and Dr Rob Simpson, National Physical Laboratory
Date: Friday 10 July 2015 - 13:00 - Biosciences 301
- Fluorescence imaging and activity sensing using"smart"labels.
Speaker: Professor Peter Dedecker, Molecular imaging and photonics, KU Leuven, Belgium
Date: Wednesday 8 July 2015 - 14:00 - Learning Centre UG09
- Supramolecular Hybrid Materials for Controlled Drug Delivery.
Speaker: Assistant Professor Ken Cham-Fai Leung, The Hong Kong Baptist University and The University of Hong Kong
Date: Wednesday 24 June 2015 - 13:00 - Biosciences 301
- Quantitative super-resolution fluorescence microscopy in T- cells.
Speaker: Dr Dylan Owen, Kings College London.
Date: Thursday 7 May 2015 - 13:00 - Haworth 203
- Nanoscale approaches to control of mesenchymal stem cells.
Speaker: Professor Matthew Dalby, University of Glasgow.
Date: Thursday 23 April 2015 - 13:00 - Biosciences E102
- Molecular imprinting - Nanoscale biometrics and their varied uses.
Speaker: Dr Nick Turner, Open University.
Date: Thursday 16 April 2015 - 13:00 - Biosciences E102