Primary aim: to work with women and stakeholders to optimise the care of women following CRPT in the NHS
Secondary aims: to summarise the published evidence in this area for global settings and to work with collaborators representing global stakeholders to consider the relevance of outputs for global settings, and to develop a network for dissemination and future research.
1. To describe the current prevalence, management and outcomes of CRPT.
2. To determine risk factors for developing complications of CRPT, risk factors or predictors of health problems following complications of CRPT.
3. To summarise the evidence from a prospective cohort study, data linkage study, published literature, women’s and Healthcare Professionals (HCPs) views related to prediction, assessment, diagnosis and management of CRPT and complications of CRPT.
4. To explore with key stakeholders (women, clinicians and primary and secondary health care services) their views on CRPT wound management and healing, what they would want from an assessment tool and outcomes that are important to them.
5. To develop and test a reliable, valid wound assessment tool and care pathway for assessment and treatment guidance of CRPT wounds.
6. To determine the important outcomes following CRPT for women, clinicians and the NHS and design a tool to capture these outcomes (CRPT management, outcomes and women’s experience) and co-develop a core outcome set for CRPT.
7. To integrate, synthesize, disseminate the programme outputs, to optimise outcomes for women and the NHS. To develop future directions for research and clinical practice.
Research Plan and Methods
The Chapter Study will include a mixed-methods programme of four interlinked work packages with PPI throughout culminating in an integrated synthesis. The work packages are:
Work Package 1 – Awareness of CRPT
- Prospective observational cohort study
- Data linkage between Primary and Secondary Care to determine long-term outcomes in a nationally representative sample
Work Package 2 – Data Synthesis
- Systematic reviews of relevant literature to inform prediction, assessment, diagnosis, management and outcomes of CRPT and complications
- Qualitative research with women and HCPs
Work Package 3 – Resource Development
- CRPT wound assessment tool development
- Development and testing of PROM
- Development of care pathways (including utilisation of tools)
- Core Outcome set for CRPT
Work Package 4 – Synthesis, dissemination, impact and future development
- Future development