September 2017 - August 2018
This project which has been funded by the University and College Union (UCU) will explore the impact of the Race Equality Charter mark.
- To examine aspects of good practice in awarded REC higher education institutions.
- To use case study data as examples of what can be learnt in relation to policy making around race in higher education institutions.
- To examine areas of improvement for those institutions not awarded the REC.
- To contribute to UCU policy making and future strategy on equity and inclusion.
- Case study analysis with institutions awarded the REC, those who applied for the REC and those who did not apply for the REC. (2 interviews per institution with Diversity and Equality managers and a member of the assessment team).
- Quantitative analysis of national data of BME staff in higher education institutions and what this means for future implementation of the REC and how this fits in with UCU equality policy and strategy.
The project will be used to inform policy making on equity and diversity in higher education.