Early Career Research and Academic Staff (ECARS) summer event
- B15 2TY, G05 University House Birmingham Business School
- Tuesday 20 June 2023 (12:00-14:00)
Join us for this summer social event, featuring short talks by experienced professionals and academics and opportunities for Q&A.
Do you self-identify as an Early Career Researcher and/or Academic? Are you within 8 years of your PhD completion or 6 years into an academic permanent contract? Do you want to inform policy and practices concerning issues that matter to ECRs at the University of Birmingham?
The ECARS committee (representing ECRs College of Social Sciences, the College of Arts and Law and the Dubai Campus) invites you to a summer event that features short talk by experienced professionals and academics on themes that are crucial to the ECARS community, with the opportunity to discuss these issues in roundtables with the speakers, sharing your experiences, connecting with fellow ECRs and asking questions that are important to you, informing future practices across the colleges.
The event will be based in UNIH-G05 in the Business School. Lunch will be provided (and it's pizza! Gluten free and vegan options available, but please indicate this as you register for the event).
Looking forward to seeing many of you there!
|12:00 - 12:10
||Welcome and introduction by ECARS representatives and chair of ECARS committee
|12:10 - 12:40
||Short-talks by academics and professionals:
- Impact: Chris Millward, Director Educational Equity Initiative - School of Education
- Research strategy, activity and funding: Claudia Amphlett, Research Facilitator, Business School and School of Education
- Working Conditions and Precariousness: David Bailey, Associate Professor in Politics and UCU Casework co-ordinator
- Interdisciplinarity: Sue Gilligan, Research Development Manager (Interdisciplinary), Institute of Advanced Studies
- Career Progression and trajectories: Nicola Newman, Professor of Business Studies, School Director of Education
- Wellbeing: Vicki Glynn, Student Experience and Wellbeing Manager, CoSS Wellbeing Team
|12:50 - 13:10
|13:10 - 13:30
||Roundtable discussion on one of the chosen topics
|13:30 - 13:50
||Reporting to the whole group and general discussion
|13:50 - 14:00