Peri-Operative, Critical Care & Trauma Trials Group (PACCT)
Professor Fang Gao chair in critical care, anaesthesia and pain in conjunction with Dr David Thickett , Reader in Respiratory Medicine will focus in developing the the research portfolio and to develop the The Peri-operative, Critical Care and TraumaTrial Group (The PACCT Group)
Our research group
The goal of the PACCT Group is to develop Birmingham as a nationally and internationally recognized centre of clinical trial excellence in peri-operative, critical care and trauma.
The PACCT group aims to attract, develop and retain the best researchers to bridge the gap between pre-clinical and clinical research in the areas of peri-operative, critical care and trauma. The PACCT group members have extensive expertise in conducting translational research, systematic review and phase I, II or III clinical trials.
We currently conduct single & multi-centre phase II and III RCTs and systematic reviews in Acute Lung Injury/Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Sepsis, Ventilator-Associated Pneumonia, Pain relief & Cell salvage in labour, Chronic post-surgical pain, Hypothermia in cardiac arrest in children and post-operative delirium in hip fracture patients. We run concurrent translational basic science studies in these areas.
- Gates S, Perkins G, Lamb S, Kelly C, Thickett D, Young J, McAuley D, Snaith C, McCabe C, Hulme C and Gao-Smith F (2013) Beta-Agonist Lung injury TrIal-2 (BALTI-2): a multicentre, randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial and economic evaluation of intravenous infusion of salbutamol versus placebo in patients with acute respiratory distress syndrome.Health Technol Assess17(38):1-87
- Parekh D, Dancer RC, Lax S, Cooper MS, Martineau AR, Fraser WD, Tucker O, Alderson D, Perkins GD, Gao-Smith F and Thickett DR (2013) Vitamin D to prevent acute lung injury following oesophagectomy (VINDALOO): study protocol for a randomised placebo controlled trial. Trials14(1):100
- Parekh D, Thickett DR and Turner AM (2013) Vitamin D deficiency and acute lung injury. Inflamm Allergy Drug Targets12(4):253-61
- Patel JM, Thickett DR, Gao F and Sapey E (2013) Statins for Sepsis: Distinguishing Signal from the Noise When Designing Clinical Trials. Am J Respir Crit Care Med188(7):874
- Gao Smith F, Perkins GD, Gates S, Young D, McAuley DF, Tunnicliffe W, Khan Z, Lamb SE and BALTI-2 study investigators (2012). Effect of intravenous β-2 agonist treatment on clinical outcomes in acute respiratory distress syndrome (BALTI-2): a multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet379(9812):229-35
Our major funding comes from: